Australian commercial abalone diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen similar videos of commercial AB divers out at the Farallon Islands in Nor CA. I grew up fishing those islands. Only a 28 mile run outside the Golden Gate.......

There's a reason why there are not daily dive charters from the Bay Area out to the Farallon's......and it's not because the diving would not be spectacular!!!!

There's a reason why there are not daily dive charters from the Bay Area out to the Farallon's......and it's not because the diving would not be spectacular!!!!

To be fair, the weather would skunk too many trips and the Farallon Islands for a charter service to survive. There was a lot of talk about starting one in the 1960s until Leroy French's attack by whitey.

At least a trip to Carmel Bay that gets skunked by the seas lets you dive in Monterey Bay.

I've seen similar videos of commercial AB divers out at the Farallon Islands in Nor CA. I grew up fishing those islands. Only a 28 mile run outside the Golden Gate.......

I was unaware that there was ever a commercial abalone fishery in Northern California since before the 1950’s. I know it was tested by a group of Japanese divers but the conditions and treachery of the north coast made it not a viable business venture so they abandoned the idea. Shortly after that abalone became a highly prized and protected game fish and was only allowed to be taken recreationally by breath hold diving. That rule was for all the territory north of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Meanwhile, southern California still had a commercial ab fishery and abalone was allowed to be taken on scuba. We know how that ended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom