Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigourneya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My friends and I are planning a dive trip to Australia next year and would like to know some good places to dive, sight see, etc.
Thanks

How long do you have to spend in Oz?

The diving off the Cairns/Port Douglass area is amazing. I'd recommend a 3 day or longer live aboard if you can swing it! Also in the area are the Daintree Rainforest and the Kuranda village Kuranda - Village in the Rainforest (you can take the skyrail one way and the train back).

Quantas has something called the AussieAir Pass that gives you 3 domestic flights in addition to your RT to/from the US. This can get you from Sydney to Cairns + somewhere else and back to Sydney. The trains are also an option. Slower, but you get to see more of the landscape. I've enjoyed both, but this may depend on how long you have for your holiday.

If you're looking for more of the great outdoors, you could fly up to Darwin in the Northern Territory, rent a car or small camper (which is what we did) and visit Kakadu, Katherine Gorge, Litchfield National Park (this one is great! Doesn't get as much press as the other two, but spectacular waterfalls with pools you can actually swim in because they put out nets to keep the saltwater crocs out). We didn't get to Uluru (Ayers Rock)--too much of a haul for us!

If you're looking for more culture/museums etc. both Sydney and Melbourne are great and the Great Ocean Road is gorgeous.

Haven't made it to western Australia yet, so no help there!

Cheers,
P-cod

dont forget that australia is a big island...almost the size of the US so i suppose its helps to know what you want to see and how you are planning on travelling around first

cheers

Everyone always talks about the East Coast...but there is tons to do/see on the West Coast, too. Even South Australia and Tassie aren't lacking for diving and things to do/see!

Narrow it down a little for us - location and month - so we can offer lots of local tidbits!

Tassie has some great kelp forests! Bit cold, but very much worth the chill. Seals, sharks, kelp, clear water and lots of fun.

We went to Australia 2 years ago and crammed quite a bit in 2 and a half weeks. It started in Caines where we went to the Kurunda (sp?) rainforest - train up/skyrail back. We flew over to Ayers Rock and stayed there one night. After a week in Caines we took a liveaboard to the Coral Sea. Then back to Sydney for three days. Saw an opera and did as much sight-seeing as we could cram in that short time. It was one of the greatest trips I've ever taken and would recommend it to all. -Pam

Back
Top Bottom