Australia Live-aboards...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done the Spoilsport. It was by far the best dive trip I ever did. Well worth the money once you factor in incredible food and the amount of dives.

Zod066:
I've done the Spoilsport. It was by far the best dive trip I ever did. Well worth the money once you factor in incredible food and the amount of dives.
I have to agree as well. My wife and I were on Spoilsport back in November. I have nothing but good things to say about the boat, the crew, the food, etc. I was slightly dissapointed in visiabilty but maybe I had expected too much and you can't blame the dive op for that.

I went to OZ about a year an a half ago - booked a liveaboard at the last minute. Taka, my first choice was full. Mike Ball had 1 cabin - two spots left. They offered it to me at a 30% discount (the delux cabin at less than the economy bunk and free gear rental to boot).

Two lessons. If you are flexible you can get a great deal. However in high season you do risk the trip you want being sold out.

cstreu1026:
I have to agree as well. My wife and I were on Spoilsport back in November. I have nothing but good things to say about the boat, the crew, the food, etc.
I am going to Cairns in the end of June for 5 days, considering different options for diving. There is a Minke Whale expedition by Mike Ball, which sounds interesting, but is kind of pricy. Are there any cheaper alternatives to it - or a way to get a discount on Spoilsport (booking via an agent or something)?
Also, I will have a one extra day on Sunday - is it worth to try to go to Port Douglas and dive there, or I should just stick to Cairns?

There is a Minke Whale expedition by Mike Ball, which sounds interesting, but is kind of pricy.
Just want to let everyone know that I finally went with Mike Ball, and it was great. Highly recommended... Some photos are at my site

I too would second the Spirit of Freedom. I had a great time my week there. And Osprey and Bougainville are some of the best dives I have ever done.

Two more 'budget' options are:
- prodive (out of Cairns), and
- divers den (Deep Sea Divers Den - Great Barrier Reef Cairns, Australia)

I've only been on the Prodive one myself. Don't know what the others are like in comparison, but it was a nice trip. My wife and I enjoyed it. (And being nearly 1/2 price to the others was a good way to go as we were on a tight budget).

I tried both Taka and Mike Ball and I definitely prefer Mike Ball. The food is better, the service is better, and the ride is much smoother. The design of Taka's boat sucks for rough, choppy seas. Everyone on board spent 1/2 the trip trying to avoid losing our lunches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom