Austin diver dies after cave diving incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
AUSTIN

Anyone know this person or know exactly what happened?

--------------------------------

Poet who was in coma dies

Shannon Leigh Lewis, the Austin spoken-word poet, has died as a result of a diving accident.

A spokesman for the Shands Hospital at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Fla. confirmed Wednesday that she died at 9:40 p.m. Monday.

The coma she had entered after a June 14 cave diving accident near Ginnie Springs, Fla., turned irreversible earlier that day, which led to conflicting reports about her death.

An Alachua County, Fla. medical examiner's report is pending.

A memorial service will be held 6 p.m. Wednesday at St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Austin.

Here is a little more:

Poet hurt in scuba accident

Shannon Leigh, a fixture for years on the local spoken-word poetry scene, was in critical condition at a Florida hospital Friday after a scuba diving accident earlier this month, Texas Youth Word Collective co-director Ron Horne said.

Horne said Leigh, 20, was scuba diving near Gainesville on June 14 when the incident occurred.

According to a story in The Gainesville Sun, Leigh was swimming with two other divers but returned alone to the entrance of a cave to try to resolve a problem with her equilibrium. A diving instructor not in her group found her unconscious moments later and brought her to the surface with the help of another diver, the newspaper said.

Horne said Leigh started in spoken-word poetry in Austin when she was about 13.

Since then she has been featured in HBO's Def Poetry Slam, and she placed third last year in the National Poetry Slam, Horne said. She moved to Atlanta in 2006 to attend Georgia State University, Horne said.

Horne said Leigh was showing signs of recovery but was still in a coma at the hospital.

According to multiple reports, Lewis, an experienced diver, was swimming with two other divers, returning alone to the entrance of the cave because of an equilibrium problem. A diving instructor from another group discovered her unconscious. She was brought her to the surface with the help of another diver.

Just found that, Too bad, she was really young.

I had followed this story since it first appeared on TDS 6/17/08....very sad.

I wish their was more info. on what exactly happened. Reading through that thread makes it pretty unclear on what could have happened. Sad deal either way.

I think the thread title is a bit misleading. Austin Diver Dies WHILE Cave Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom