Austin Dive Doctor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenSquirrel

Reaction score
I seem to have developed a funky ear infection that I think is related to a minor ear squeeze. Does anybody know a good dive doctor in the Austin area?

and ask them to give you the name of an ENT in your area.

I did that acouple of months ago for the DFW area and they were very nice about it.

Saint David's Medical Center
919 East 32nd Street
Austin, TX 78705
512-476-7111
Dr. Gary Mailman

He's runs the hyperbaric facitilies at St. David's and he's a diver. Almost everybody I've ever know who called DAN got forwarded to Dr. Mailman, regardless of malady...

PurduEE once bubbled...
Saint David's Medical Center
919 East 32nd Street
Austin, TX 78705
512-476-7111
Dr. Gary Mailman

He's runs the hyperbaric facitilies at St. David's and he's a diver. Almost everybody I've ever know who called DAN got forwarded to Dr. Mailman, regardless of malady...

Correct! This was the only info DAN could provide. I called them and they cannot look at a busted ear. The hunt continues.

Best guess to date is that I have a ruptured ear drum. I'm going to see a general physician Thursday morning. They are the only person that I could get in to see before next week.

The weird thing is that I do not remember rupturing anything. I did not have any pain with sudden relief, vertigo or anything. I went to bed with a slight ear infection (no worse than any swimmers ear I've had) and woke up with a crusty ear and some hearing loss (mostly on the higher frequencies).

Nobody in Austin seems to know who to go to. This is VERY annoying.

I went to bed with a slight ear infection (no worse than any swimmers ear I've had) and woke up with a crusty ear and some hearing loss (mostly on the higher frequencies).

do you have swelling in the outer ear canal and touchy/sore to touch? I'm asking 'cause last year I had an outer ear infection and my doc said it almost looked like pollups (swellings) in my ear canal.....twas a bit crusty too... Any ways, she gave me an eardrop called CORTANE-B (Aqueous) external ear drops.... was good to go in 2 days....but she said wait a week....good medicine, but it's prescription...

tony

Hi ZenSquirrel:

I recently had the ear infection that would not go away. I finally was referred to Dr. Jerry Bordelon by one of my Open Water instructors, who also is a doctor. I like him, and he did a great job with my ears. While not a "diving doctor," he does have experience working with divers.

Contact info:

Jerry Bordelon
3705 Medical Parkway, Suite 310
Austin, TX 78705
(512) 458-6391

I hope this helps.

Todd.

scubatexastony once bubbled...

do you have swelling in the outer ear canal and touchy/sore to touch? I'm asking 'cause last year I had an outer ear infection and my doc said it almost looked like pollups (swellings) in my ear canal.....twas a bit crusty too... Any ways, she gave me an eardrop called CORTANE-B (Aqueous) external ear drops.... was good to go in 2 days....but she said wait a week....good medicine, but it's prescription...

tony

I don't know about swelling the the outer canal but if I give a gentil tug on my ear lobe I can tell that the canal is sensitive.

This gives me some new hope. I need to give it up though. I'm just stressing myself out over this when there is nothing I can do until I get a Dr. to have a look.

Thanks for the info!

Todd once bubbled...
Hi ZenSquirrel:

I recently had the ear infection that would not go away. I finally was referred to Dr. Jerry Bordelon by one of my Open Water instructors, who also is a doctor. I like him, and he did a great job with my ears. While not a "diving doctor," he does have experience working with divers.

Contact info:

Jerry Bordelon
3705 Medical Parkway, Suite 310
Austin, TX 78705
(512) 458-6391

I hope this helps.

Todd.

Thanks for the info. I already had to line up an appointment with a Dr. recommend as an all around good guy. If he does not know what to do then I'll give Jerry a shot.

It has been all day and this is the first Dr. that anybody has pointed me toward. Thanks just for that!

The two times I have busted an ear drum I went to my GP who referred me to an ENT. Plan on at least 8 weeks of beach duty if it is busted. Hope it is not!

It looks like a regular external ear infection possibly with some fluid in my middle ear from an ear squeeze. Doc says I should be up and running in a week. :)

So far the best theory I've heard is that I already had some germs in my ear then dove. The fresh, warm water gave the germs a good environment for population growth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom