Aussie diving December 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I hummed and hawed about posting this as our dive yesterday was nothing remarkable, but thought a bit of a write up about the dive site might be of interest to future Googlers / visitors.

So yesterday we dove the Gold Coast Seaway for the first time. The gold coast seaway is one of only a couple of shore dives anywhere between the NSW border and quite far north into Queensland, hence its appeal to local divers. We have put off diving this site because it's not a simple beach entry, and current can be an issue, and because of that we wanted to be prudent and go with someone who had dove there before for our first time. We arranged to meet another experienced local diver there for this reason. Unfortunately, they were delayed for reasons beyond their control, and so we ended up popping in on our own anyway.

In the end, this wasn't a problem - so my first bit of advice would be if you are a reasonably confident buddy pair, you can dive this site just fine with no prior experience of it. First, i would research the site well. The site is described well here:

Diving The Gold Coast

If you just drive to the very end of seaworld drive, the entry point is about 5m to the left of where it turns into a T intersection running along the water.

Bring gloves (in current you may need to hold on to stuff) and emt shears (there is quite a bit of monofilament around).

Suit up before scrambling down the rocks. It is easier by far to navigate the walk with tank on your back already. The site is dove on slack water, and if you arrive half an hour before turn of the tide you will doubtless see many other divers entering the water. Watch where they step and what they do. Basically, you walk out onto a little concrete landing, step down onto a white concrete step at the right hand side at the end, walk to the end of the rocks, sit, put fins on, and push off. If it it surgey this can be a little tricky to time your push off with a rise of water but it's pretty straightforward really.

We jumped in without our friend because we didn't want to miss the slack tide. It turns out, though, that slack tide was about 45 mins later than the tide time websites would have us believe, so the current was fairly ripping when we jumped in. We had to face into the current (incoming) to avoid water in our masks, and ended up going hand over hand on the rocks down to the base of the short pipe. Viz was maybe 2m with very heavy particulate.

The dive was fun, though. There was a lot of marine life down around the short pipe. We headed east along the sandy bottom to some outcrops of coffee rock and spent some enjoyable time with a quite mobile day octopus before drifting back to the pipe. We had about a 60 min dive, the last 15 mins of so which were spent in genuinely slack water - and this was very enjoyable. Viz cleared up and a lot of smaller fish appeared at this point.

So that's it. No need to be shy of this site, even with no formal introductions. Just watch how other divers enter (this is the hairiest part and its no big deal) and be aware that current can be strong and viz low.

One last tip: a local diver has shared these excellent topographic sketches of the site, which I found really useful in understanding what we were going to dive:

Sand Pipe - Gold Coast Seaway - Diving in Gold Coast, Australia - Wannadive.net - World dive site atlas

Keywords for Google: scuba dive diving gold coast seaway pipe pipes tips hints

The gold coast seaway sound like a great dive site, sounds like it is a great place for macro/muck diving. I looked at that first website and was amazed at the number of different species they get there. Next time you go there make sure you take some video!

I had a great dive last night. I missed a lot of great shots but I was just happy to get wet again. Here is some photos.

shrimp-with-eggs by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

skeleton-shrimp-eating by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

sand-octopus by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

tambja-vercons by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

That skeleton shrimp is aptly named! Like so many little things, if it were a thousand times bigger it would be terrifying (shrimp, ants, Tom Cruise). May I ask what the shrimp with eggs is perched on there in the first pic?

The weekend in Melbourne was very windy, so I didn't go diving but I decided to go diving Monday night as I didn't need to go to work on Tuesday until the afternoon. The visibility wasn't the greatest (the water was very milky) but the warm water had brought back the fish. At one point during the dive I pointed my torch toward the surface and saw at least 50 squid above me. I haven't had time to go through all my pictures yet but here is one.

bobtail-squid-hunting by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

Byron you put up a lot of amazing shots but that photo must be one of the most striking images I have ever seen. Absolutely incredible. Congratulations.

Byron you put up a lot of amazing shots but that photo must be one of the most striking images I have ever seen. Absolutely incredible. Congratulations.

Ditto. What perfect lighting and timing! Wow.

quickie report: last Saturday at Julian Rocks temp was 20deg, vis a murky 3-8m, and a little lumpy topside. Lots of interesting small stuff about, including a largish Spanish dancer moving around. Many, many juvenile moray eels around at the moment. Found an interesting crevice near the mooring site in Hugo's trench that had a group of maybe 80 cleaner shrimp all packed in. Spending this coming weekend at Straddie where apparently the mantas and leopard sharks are out in force, and hoping to get at least one night dive in. We are wanting to get a few night dives in over the next 3 weeks at Straddie and the solitaries in NSW before we hit the Philippines in Jan.

Thanks Ferris and Mantra.

Mantra, how are the night dives down your way? Do you see more sharks at night?

No diving this weekend my tanks were in for testings and I still haven't had a chance to go through the rest of my photos from Monday.

Hey BF!

Im the wrong guy to ask, I'm afraid. I've only done one night dive so far (during AOW), which is why I'm keen to do that again ASAP. Maybe Ferris can give you a better answer?

We didn't end up doing a night dive this weekend because the tides were huge, and we were fighting some strong currents during the day so were pretty tired by the time night rolled around. The group opted for curry / beer / wine etc.

Some awesome diving though!

Arrived Straddie Friday PM. A bonus was the geminids meteor shower. We went and lay on the beach to watch it, far enough from light pollution there at Straddie to have a good view. Due to the recent fires (I guess) at Straddie, there must have been a tiny bit of smoke in the air, because some of the comet tails as they arced slowly through the sky were bright green.

Two dives at manta bommie on Saturday. Viz 7-15m. Heavy swell topside and heavy surge below. I quite like the rocking feeling of a good surge, but had to be careful not to be swung into rocks etc. Temp a lovely 24. 2 big mantas around (got a nice flyby from one) and loads of leopard sharks - which were active and swimming. On the second dive I didn't enjoy myself as much. We had a few gear issues at the surface, and the current had really picked up. It needed some pretty vigorous kicking against to stay in place. I had to ask myself if I was having fun a couple of times! Ha. Lots and lots of Christmas tree worms out in a huge variety of colors.

Today we dived the nursery at flat rock on the first dive and shag rock on the second. Some decent current but nothing too hairy. Flat rock was amazing! 25m viz - like swimming in an aquarium. A trio of very active circling leopard sharks right at the bottom of the anchor line. They were very curious about us. Lots of fish about - pipefish, barracuda, a group of 50 or so batfish - and plenty of nudis. Very interesting topography at shag rock, with maybe 15m vis. 25 degrees in the water. As a bonus when we were leaving the water, Ken (skipper) spotted a Glaucus Atlanticus nudi and we all got a nice close look. These are the little guys who hunt down Bluebottle jellyfish, eat them, and absorb their stinger cells into their bodies to form their own defenses. That was a pretty excellent note to end on.

Completely exhausted, and my quads are aching, but it's a very clean kind of tiredness, isn't it?

!

Im the wrong guy to ask, I'm afraid. I've only done one night dive so far (during AOW), which is why I'm keen to do that again ASAP. Maybe Ferris can give you a better answer?

sorry guys, I'm in the dark as far as local night diving goes, the shore diving spots are at least an hour or so south, not really practical for after work.

Scubaworld runs occasional night dives to the ex-HMAS Brisbane but sharks are very rare on the wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom