Aurocaine 2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoFe2O3

Registered
Reaction score
I have been using up the last of my stash of Aurocaine 2, and it seems that it is no longer available. When I Google "Aurocaine 2", I get a lot of hits related to a prescription medication. What I want is the stuff that you could get at any LDS - it's mostly isopropyl alcohol, with 2.5% boric acid. The current OTC ear drops seem to all be alcohol with glycerin. Sorry, but I really don't want to change from what's been working for me for all these years - ie, I don't want to switch to glycering, or to 50% vinegar.

So - why can't I find the boric acid in alcohol? And where CAN I find this preferred cocktail???

Bubbletrouble : Thanks for trying. Actually, I bought from that online source, and they sent me another brand. Apparently they haven't updated their website - no Aurocaine is actually available there.

Last edited:
Hi NoFe2O3,

As noted, Aurocaine2 is no longer marketed. It also should be noted that it was not an isopropyl alcohol and boric acid mix, but rather its active ingredient was carbamide peroxide. As regards hygiene of the diver's ear, the former is used to prevent swimmer's ear/otitis externa, while the latter is used to remove excess earwax.

This article I wrote for DAN's Alert Diver magazine provides some appropiate ear drops and other suggestions to prevent swimmer's ear:

Doc Vikingo's Preventing Swimmer's Ear

A mixture such as you seem to be seeking can be formulated by using 1/2 teaspoon of boric acid to 1 pint of isopropyl alcohol, both which are readily available at the local pharmacy.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I'd be pretty frustrated by that practice. The company should change the online pics then.

Have you tried the Drummond Co. yet?

[Edited later: The next thing I was going to suggest is to mix it up yourself. I see that DocVikingo has provided the recipe. You should be able to find boric acid and isopropyl alcohol at your local drugstore.]

Have you tried the Drummond Co. yet?

I'd call them before ordering this product online. While Drummond may have remaining stock, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same story as with Sportwide.com.

Also, there seems to be some confusion regarding what the OP actually is looking for, a product to prevent swimmer's ear or to remove excess cerumen. Replacements for Aurocaine2 are easy to find, e.g., Debrox®.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Re: the composition of Aurocaine 2 : I checked the bottle (of very old stock that I still had laying around!), and it DOES indicate 2.5% boric acid in isopropyl alcohol. So I will try to find some boric acid at my local pharmacy, and will mix my own brew.

Thanks to both of you for your interest, and for your detailed replies. Doc V - I did look up your article, and found it very informative.

Re: the composition of Aurocaine 2 : I checked the bottle (of very old stock that I still had laying around!), and it DOES indicate 2.5% boric acid in isopropyl alcohol.

Hummm, this is a bit confusing as the follow indicate the actve ingredient is

- aurocaineCarbamide Peroxide Otic - Drug Information and Side Effects on Drug3k.com

- Drug Facts for Aurocaine / Carbamide Peroxide Otic

- Aurocaine Otic Drug information on Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, and User Reviews on RxList

- Aurocaine - The People's Medicine Community

While others indicate boric acid+isopropyl alcohol:

- Eyes_ Ears_ and Skin Drugs (Go to page #5)

Regards,

DocVikingo

Yes, I agree it's VERY confusing. I wonder if the OTC stuff was taken off the shelves because of the conflicting nomenclature.

Anyway, the old OTC stuff clearly indicates boric acid/IPA on the back of the bottle. And since that's seemed to work for me, I will follow that recipe.

Thanks again for your continued interest in this issue!

NoFe2O3

PS : BTW, I have some boric acid on order at my local pharmacy. It was easier to get than I had expected!

Back
Top Bottom