August trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allyson

New
Reaction score
We hear it's hurricane season in Caribbean and there are rains. Are we crazy to plan a trip to Belize? Any better suggestions? Here's what we're looking for.

We are exhausted from work and need a relaxing vacation. We have a week and we're flying from Northern California. We'd like to dive 1-2 times/day but also be able to snorkel off shore in between dives without having to drive or take a boat. I like relatively shallow dives and we are relative newbies (AOW PADI Certified) who dive once a year for the past 2-3 years. If anyone can recommend a good dive operator that would be great too. Ideally, there would be a bit of nice things above the water (e.g. rainforest, ruins) for the day before the flight home or as a break. We've been to Hawaii and the Thailand (Similan Islands) and wanted to see some different underwater habitats. I haven't seen many soft corals in the wild, for example.

Thanks,
Allyson

allyson:
We hear it's hurricane season in Caribbean and there are rains. Are we crazy to plan a trip to Belize? Any better suggestions? Here's what we're looking for.

Thanks,
Allyson

Yes, it's been hurricane season oficially since June 1. However, that doesn't mean much...yet. But it will very soon. I've spent the past six winters living October - April on Little Cayman, and October is ALWAYS miserable down there. That's the peak probability time for tropical storms in the western Caribbean. August is not so bad...September is getting iffy...and October is guaranteed to be miserable. My advice to you would be to go ahead and do it, but do it now!

Bruce

allyson:

We are exhausted from work and need a relaxing vacation. We have a week and we're flying from Northern California. We'd like to dive 1-2 times/day but also be able to snorkel off shore in between dives without having to drive or take a boat. I like relatively shallow dives and we are relative newbies (AOW PADI Certified) who dive once a year for the past 2-3 years. If anyone can recommend a good dive operator that would be great too. Ideally, there would be a bit of nice things above the water (e.g. rainforest, ruins) for the day before the flight home or as a break. We've been to Hawaii and the Thailand (Similan Islands) and wanted to see some different underwater habitats. I haven't seen many soft corals in the wild, for example.

Thanks,
Allyson

Such topside activies while diving in the cayes of Belize are pretty much mutually exclusive. Snorkelling is often a bit distant from any resort.

Weather? The closer you stay to the coast of South America, the more assured your vacation will be. Look at Tobago, the ABC's, San Andres, the Bay Islands.

Honestly? I think CoCoView of Roatan would fit your criteria well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom