August group to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaveonlybubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dear All...
Looking at an August 2011 group trip to Thailand... very early in the process so don't know much about the diving (though reading here has been very helpful)...

Advice: Given that it's August, what's our best bet for the best diving?

-Ideally relatively accessible since we'll only be coming in for a week
-Folks going like big animals, wall diving, and deeper diving, though aren't overly picky if there's better diving in different conditions
-We're committed to sustainable practices and eco-friendly outfits so advice related to that would be good too.

Thanks!

During August the Samui archipelago will have the best weather conditions and usually viz is around 20-30 meters and dive conditions in general should be at their optimum. Koh Tao would be the best option, although there are no wall dives but Chumpon Pinnacle is near by.
Chumpon Pinnacle is good for deep, how deep are you talking about? There are plenty of tech deep sites around Koh Tao and a few wrecks outside of recreational limits. I would recommend contacting forum member JamieMac, he has his own tech dive boat or just sit on the sideline, he'll show up sooner or later, as plenty of other Koh Tao and Phuket members will. :blinking:

The Phuket side during that time fame is a lot more flaky weather wise and the seas may be rough.

Hi Matt,

If you are going to travel all the way from Washington, DC and bring a group why don't you come during November to April and dive the Similan/Surin Islands?

Matt, are you looking for land-based or liveaboard diving? The best liveaboard diving is during the period November to May that OnTheSpot mentioned, and in fact, the top dive destinations in Thailand, the Similans/Surins island groups are best reached by liveaboard. But if you want land-based diving, your choices are the Gulf of Thailand, as Limbo recommends, or the Phuket area. We do dive year round from Phuket, and we can get some seas during the summer months, but August tends to not be all that stormy (September and October are, though), and the diving is quite pleasant with not so many divers in the water. The chances of seeing big stuff is quite limited, though. We do have leopard sharks hanging around and some tuna and other pelagics cruising past, so it's not all just anemonefish and butterflyfish. Do you absolutely have to come in August? Are you tacking this trip on to the beginning or end of some other dive trip in the region?

Thanks everyone... I'd LOVE to come at another time, but the deal is: Washington, DC shuts down in August so it's the right time for a longer trip. So I'm somewhat stuck with the timing... From what I've read, it seems like the west coast is more our speed, but maybe not a good deal for the time?

Matt, let us know what information and guidance you need to help make your group's trip to Thailand enjoyable. Are you coming only to Thailand? How many in your group? What kind of travel experience are they looking for? (That is, do they want to focus mainly on diving, or is diving just an element of a more complex trip with a lot of night life, shopping, travel in other parts of the country?)

IMO, even at the best time of year for Koh Tao, the diving on the Andaman Coast (West Coast) is still better.

Is that hear say or have you actually lived and worked on Koh Tao for more than a year so you can speak out of experience?

Is that hear say or have you actually lived and worked on Koh Tao for more than a year so you can speak out of experience?
That is speaking from own experience, several trips to the island.

I did not realise I should have worked there for over a year before I could have a valid opinion though.

I have dived extensively all over thailand over a number of years and must say I agree entirely with Steven.
Even though I am based on the East (gulf) side of Thailand in my opinion a bad days diving in the Andaman sea is generally better than a good day in the gulf. But of course there will occasionally be exceptions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom