August for combo dive/snorkel - Mozambique or better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebagolizzy

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to be in Johannesburg on August 1 and want to head somewhere else for a combination of snorkeling and diving. We are not a group that likes to dive all day every day, and do like to independently snorkel whenever possible. That said several members of the family would like to dive at least a few times. All divers have 15-30 dives experience.

In August where is our best bet for this combination? Mozambique, Madagascar, Zanzibar? Specifics help, but I'll take any tips you've got. Also we are not "resort" folks in that I don't want to stay somewhere that feels like it could be on any other beautiful beach somewhere. We like to feel somewhat connected to the world we are visiting :)

Thanks!

I imagine you have decided on where to go by now, but incase anyone else has the same question....

Snorkelling from the shore at Mozambique dive spots is not very good, with the exception of bits of the Bazaruto archipelago. Although a beautiful spot, you won't get much of a connected feeling, very few people live there other than those working in the lodges. The Quirimbas archipelago would be a possibility, but northern Mozambique has seen some unrest recently.

The main island of Zanzibar is popular with tourists, and there are lots of resorts/hotels. The best snorkelling requires a boat ride. Pemba island is the best place to feel like you are going somewhere remote, with plenty of real locals around out fishing, collecting seaweed, farming. But again, the best snorkelling requires a boat ride. There is also kayaking and forest walks, mangroves, and spices. For more info, look here Tanzania, Pemba, Zanzibar, and Mafia - Tailor-made Diving, Safaris, and Trekking - Indigo Safaris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom