August 18th urchin dive report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We were out there again on Sunday.
We got 1347 lbs. with 10 scuba divers and one freediver. It was a challenging day with pretty low vis, 6’ at best, very milky. It made it difficult to fill multiple bags since the first full bag gets the bright orange lift bag attached and a little huff of air just enough make into a planted marker buoy, then the other bag gets filled and both attached to the strap and sent up. The problem was getting any small distance away and the orange lift bag turned into a very faint orange glow. This was only being 8’-10’ away. So awareness needed to be exercised to make sure not to lose the first bag!
I also tested out a new commercial style gauntlet rake that proved to be amazing! I designed it a little smaller and shorter specifically for purples since the conventional rakes are for the much larger red urchins.
IMG_2016.jpeg

These two conventional rakes below are much longer. Photos courtesy of Erik Owens.
image000001.jpeg

Then gauntlet style rake takes all the pressure off your wrist and elbow. It also works as a handy tool to grab the other handle on the bag to drag it around. They are an extension of your arm and can look a little creep even, like some sort if bionic claw that belongs in a horror movie.
They take a little getting used to but they are extremely effective at scooping very large mounts of urchins into the bag in a very short amount of time. I’m going to make several for the team.
Till next time….

Back
Top Bottom