ATX50 second with MTX-R first ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andjar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. I purchased recently an apeks mtx-r full regulator set. Went to Egypt in April and it works really well. However the 1st stage is tunned a bit tight i think ,it breaths well but not as easy as i would like it. Fortunately the octopus,which also is a mtx-r (yellow)second stage breathes beautifully ...just the way i want,i guess it was tunned differently.

I found this guy who has a couple of new old stock atx50's ....i know it's a really old model by now but it has both venturi and cracking effort adjustments. Would it work on an mtx-r 1st stage without issues?

Hi. I purchased recently an apeks mtx-r full regulator set. Went to Egypt in April and it works really well. However the 1st stage is tunned a bit tight i think ,it breaths well but not as easy as i would like it. Fortunately the octopus,which also is a mtx-r (yellow)second stage breathes beautifully ...just the way i want,i guess it was tunned differently.

I found this guy who has a couple of new old stock atx50's ....i know it's a really old model by now but it has both venturi and cracking effort adjustments. Would it work on an mtx-r 1st stage without issues?
You need to measure the first stage ip to see whether it is within the spec, does not have to be exact, it is a range usually. I think your problem is in the second stage. Detach the hose from your second and have a look at inside, you will see some screw that has notches, you can adjust it to your taste, turning that right or left (usually you can use allen key as well). Normally you need a tool like Metalsub Second Stage Adjustment Tool Black | Diveinn but it is also possible to adjust without in small increments, its just every time you adjust, you need to put it back on and try again. If this sounds too complicated, just bring it to a local shop, they will adjust it for you.
I mean atx50 is a nice reg as well but, why buy stuff you don't need?

... However the 1st stage is tunned a bit tight i think ,it breaths well but not as easy as i would like it.
I suspect you mean your primary 2nd stage, not your 1st stage (the 1st stage effects both 2nd stages equally). Probably your primary 2nd stage just needs tuning, which is not hard, but should be done by someone that understands what they are doing.

Yes, any 2nd stage designed for an IP of ~9.5 bar (which is most of them) will work fine.

Detach the hose from your second and have a look at inside, you will see some screw that has notches, you can adjust it to your taste, turning that right or left (usually you can use allen key as well). Normally you need a tool like Metalsub Second Stage Adjustment Tool Black | Diveinn but it is also possible to adjust without in small increments, its just every time you adjust, you need to put it back on and try again.
For someone asking the OP's question, this is bad advice. While tuning a 2nd stage is not hard, it can be dangerous if you don't understand what you are doing. Tuning improperly can result in a low lever height and the regulator will feel well tuned on a shallow dive, but be dangerous deep or at high exertion.

If this sounds too complicated, just bring it to a local shop, they will adjust it for you.
This is a better idea.

I suspect you mean your primary 2nd stage, not your 1st stage (the 1st stage effects both 2nd stages equally). Probably your primary 2nd stage just needs tuning, which is not hard, but should be done by someone that understands what they are doing.
Correct! I meant "second stage" sorry!

It's no problem at all. All Apeks use same ip, not sure about flight though. Tune second stage to first stage. It's not hard. If you want manuals DM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom