ATTN: Those with motorbikes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get my motorcycle license for the longest time and start riding, for that I need 2 things - a good little starter bike and time/money. Well I got it almost covered.

In search of a good/solid starter bike I was presented with the option of a BMW F650cs for a very decent price. Question is what do you guys think of it as a beginners bike. Keep in mind my size and dimensions (5'11" and 270-280lbs) as well as the capabilities of the bike. For now I just want/need something that will start me off and then later I want to get a cruiser type bike.

Some shots from an article:

And here are pictures of the one in question (sorry, taken with phone-cam)

ENGINE
Type: l-c single
Valve arrangement: dohc, 4v
Bore x stroke: 100.0mm x 83.0mm
Displacement: 652cc
Compression ratio: 11.5:1
Transmission: 5-speed
Final drive: belt
CHASSIS
Weight: 428 lb. (wet) 404 lb. (fuel tank empty)
Fuel capacity: 4.0 gal.
Rake/trail: Rake/trail 27.9deg./4.5 in. (114mm)
Wheelbase: 58.8 in.(1493mm)
Seat height: 31.0 in. (780mm)
SUSPENSION
Front: 41mm fork, not adjustable
Rear: single shock, not adjustable
PERFORMANCE
Horsepower: 48.6 @ 7500 rpm
Torque: 42.4 ft-lb @ 5500 rpm
Corrected 1/4-mile*: 13.01 sec. @ 97.71 mph
0-60 mph: 4.52 sec.
0-100 mph: 16.55 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph 4.77 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 45/52/49

Tamas:
Any riders out there? Calling all motorbike owners. :D
Looks like a fun bike to ride.

My brother gave me an old Suziki GS550 this yr. (Its my first year with a bike...I give my brother my old dive gear, he gives me his old bikes)

The specs for that bike, match close to mine (my bike is heavier), so I would say it would be a nice fit. Not so powerful that it will scare the crap out of you, but still faster than cars.

I do know that my brother (who would be the person to ask this question..but he's not here right now), knew of a few guys that had BMW's and were very happy with them.

If I see my brother later tonight...I'll ask him.

I had one as my first bike 8/9 years ago or a similar model of F650
Good quality bike, bit heavy for any Off-roading you might be tempted to do (assuming its got nobbly tires?)
Very Torquey, but on the whole slow and I found myself frustrated quickly when out with mates on their 2/4 cylinder bikes

I moved up to a Yamaha 600 Thundercat and it was a whole world of difference

Thing was the BMW held its value well and after a year I nearly got what I paid for it.

On balance it think the bike probably saved my life by not allowing me to be a lunatic too fast...
HTH

if you want the crap scared out of you,i have a kawi gpz 1100,probably not too good for beginners though.

wow, i didn't see this the first time around

BMW's are awesome bikes ... excellent quality ... if the fit is right (only you can determine whether you like the "feel" of it), this should be an excellent starter
bike, and you won't outgrow it for a while to come

it does have a single cylinder, and squeezing 650cc out of it must put an awful lot of pressure on it... but the Germans build good machines ... still, it is a single cylinder, so it will be outperformed by pretty much any two or more cylinder bike of comparable cc out there

but you get to drive a "thumper" so ... that's cool in and of itself :wink:

Thanks guys....keep the info coming. :D

What about size of driver vs bike? See any issues with that?

Slow is good for now, not wanting to kill mself yet.

Tamas:
What about size of driver vs bike? See any issues with that?
It won't accelerate as fast, but you should still be able to outdo cars if you jump on the throttle.

Mind you...I'm 6' and 165 lbs...so what do I know :wink:

Tamas:
I have been wanting to get my motorcycle license for the longest time and start riding, for that I need 2 things - a good little starter bike and time/money. Well I got it almost covered.
Oh...and take a motorcycle safety course.

In Edmonton, there are two groups doing it and at the end of the course you do the driving portion of the motorcycle road test.

Best money I spent, except maybe the DIR-f class I took :wink:

(Lets call it DIR for motorcycles :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom