Attn: Stolen gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone in the Austin/SA area is offered a used Ikelite Auto35 camera system, you might want to see if the yellow carrying case has a hand-lettered name on it or one that has been obliterated. If so, it could be stolen goods.

I recently discovered that the camera, strobe, and case were taken in a burglary that occurred a few months ago. I originally thought it was stored in an area of my house that did not appear to have had items removed. But, I went to show to a friend and discovered it's gone.

I know this is a longshot, it most likely went to a pawnshop, but thought I'd put the info out there. Kind of a limited market for u/w camera stuff.

Will put it out through the grapevine here, but you're probably right about the pawnshop, flea market, or out-of-state, or fenced through another source. Serial number? I didn't think so. Dang that stinks. SN could have went into N.C.I.C. and been caught at any standard check of pawnshop tickets, or stolen check run, hopefully.

But you never know, a lot of ppl. read this board.

I had SNs for all the home electronics that were stolen at the same time, none of that stuff has showed up at pawn. The camera probably won't either.

The gear is covered by insurance and I won't lose sleep over it, but just in case the low-lifes were bold (dumb) enough to try and sell directly to divers I wanted to put out a heads-up.

This summer, I actually had a guy at Windy Point try to sell me a (presumably) hot car stereo while I was walking to the water with doubles on (!)...which leads me to believe the average thief must have the intelligence of moss.

Hello,

I would check local flee markets and ebay. I would not waste my time with pawn shops as they have to keep the stuff in storage for 6 months before selling it, well the honest ones do anyways.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom