Attn DMs and Instructors (newbie divers too)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovescorals

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

First I want to thank all the participants for the great and friendly support one gets on this board. I stared diving two years ago and I'm in my mid fifties. I'm "crazy" about this sport!
I just came back from a vacation in Bora Bora and Moorea and did there four dives. My latest dive was my 20th dive, and not until then did I learn how to control my breathing! I consume too much air. All previous DMs had just advised "you have to control your breathing!". No one had been specific how to achieve this difficult task (difficult for me!)

The DMs in French Polynisia are mostly French. (Didn't the French invent SCUBA?...). The DM of my 20th dive worked for TopDive at Moorea. He advised me the following:
"Breath in up to half of your lungs' capacity. Then count to three and exhale. Count three again and inhale."

I followed the routine. It worked! I surfaced with the rest of the group! This was a 50 minutes dive to 70 ft bottom depth.

So, dear DMs: What seems easy and natural to you isn't so for the newbie. Please be as specific as possible when you instruct a new diver. A new diver needs ongoing improvement of his/her skills and s/he's looking up to you, figuratively and literraly!

I'll report about site specifics in the appropriate regional forum.

Looking forward for my next dive!

Regards,
Mike

When you breath in, take your time about it. Same for when you breath out. If you feel a headache, its probably CO2 buildup, don't take quite as much time and make sure you empty your lungs completely.

lovescorals:
Hi all,

He advised me the following:
"Breath in up to half of your lungs' capacity. Then count to three and exhale. Count three again and inhale."

So this looks like you breathe in and then hold for the count of three, this is good because you get more oxygen out of each breath. Then you breathe out and hold for the count of three. This is bad.
If you hold with empty lungs the CO2 will build up quickly in your alveolei, this is dangerous from an in water blackout point of view also it will trigger your lungs to breathe more. Doing this on the ascent will vastly reduce the rate at which you off gas.
Try this:
14) Breathing. Belly breathing uses the alveolai from the lower lung which have 50% more blood vessels, this also flushes out CO2 which is the trigger for respiration rate. To get even more out of each lungfull breathe in for 4 seconds, pause for 2 seconds and breathe out for 4 seconds. When you get good at this try 6, 3 and 6 seconds. Never pause breathing while ascending.

it may work but keep in mind, most agencys teach to not "skip breath" remember the #1 rule in scuba " never hold your breath" using this method on ascent could lead to lung rupture. with an ascent of only a few feet the lung expansion could be large also unless your bouyoncy is good you may not realize your ascending as much as you are.

the best way i have found to improve air consumption is slow your breathing to inhale for 3-5 sec. then exhale 3-5 sec with out a pause inbetween and also slow down, many new divers try to cover as much of the reef as poss. try takeing a small section of reef and hovering or barely finning to move, you see more and use less air. if all else fails get bigger tanks hehe.

lovescorals:
Didn't the French invent SCUBA?...

Gagnan and Cousteau invented the original twin hose Aqualung but the single hose reg, the configuration that is used today, is actually an Australian innovation... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom