Attn. DIY dryglove persons re Latex reaction to PVC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
I finished my dry gloves and they work great, but someone told me that PVC reacts with latex seals making them softer. His observation was anecdotal; he noticed it when he made a drysuit hanger out of PVC. I don't know if there was any heat (for drying) involved. Is there really a reaction and what might I do to obviate it? Coat the rings with latex? Thanks,
Dave

I have used a PVC hanger I made for about 4 years now and have not noticed a softening of the latex. The PVC only comes in contact with the neck seal.

mmmm, I'd hate to think he just wanted to sell me a dry glove system. Seems like a really good guy.

Certainly appears to be an inconclusive and isolated report, at best.... :wink:

A more likely cause would be that he didn't employ the tried and true methods of latex seal care that reduce exposure to oils, ozone and uv light. :D

Dave C

mmmm, I'd hate to think he just wanted to sell me a dry glove system. Seems like a really good guy.

I'm sure he is. I know a lot of stuff for sure that is probably crap. :wink:

I have PVC dry cuffs on 2 suits...never had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom