Attempted Rescue at Whalers Cove - Point Lobos, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCMZ, if I can pry a bit off topic. How did rescue breaths pan out in water? Did the breaths go in, was there any difficulty in getting a a head tilt, a good seal, any gear get in the way, etc etc?

Hello,

Sug and myself are dive buddies and were both diving that day at Whalers Cove. Sug's description was accurate and it was a very sad thing to see someone coming out of the water with such a complexion and lack of life signs. Things really did not look good when the gentleman was taken away in the ambulance; our thoughts are with his family at this time, regardless of the outcome. It was an impressive and selfless act of the divers who went out there to help with the rescue, regardless of the final outcome.

While it wasn't clear what exactly happened, one of my take aways was to work hard to stay fit and healthy while participating in this sport.

--James

It appears that both members of the dive team are doctors. Cardiac arrest is the preliminary report I got from one of the doctors daughter. As of yesterday he was still in the ICU. I join others in praying for his swift recovery.

Diving today at Pt. Lobos we found a ~30# blue weight belt with uncoated 5#ish weights on it. Next to it was a ScubaPro weight pocket with about 10# in it. It is still there, but marked with a buoy. I didn't have enough floats to bring them up safely. I will try again tomorrow BUT if anyone has a lift bag and is going to dive Lobos on Mon March 18th maybe we can work on it together. I want to return them to the Park rangers and then on to who ever lost them. We did take surface pictures to show the location. Driving an overloaded Red S-10 with bed cover. PM me tonight if you want my phone #

Unable to safely retrieve the weights. Here they are: weights small.jpg We noted the location in the cove. I placed the weights on the rock. They were about 5' apart, nor did we look for a second ScubaPro weight pocket.

Attachments

• GOPR0114.jpg
    GOPR0114.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 95
  • weight small.jpg
    weight small.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 87
Hi everyone,
The person involved was my friend Chuck from the Sacramento area. Sadly he did not survive the heart attack that led to this event. He was a well respected ICU and ER RN who was an expert in patient safety. He did his best to stay in shape and ran marathons until a couple of years ago when he switched to road biking. He loved to dive so all of us were happy that if he had to go, he did it doing something he truly loved. I think its wonderful that you are all so supportive of one another and help one another out. God bless.

Cabot Blue Fish: Sorry to hear about your friend, and condolences to you and his family.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like your friend was in good shape (running marathons & biking), as opposed to what was stated above of him being overweight?

That is correct. I had dinner with him about three weeks before this happened and he was not overweight at all. He might have put on five pounds at best since he stopped training for marathons but by no means was he overweight. I am also an RN and the only thing I can summize is that he might have been a bit bloated in his face but clincially I am not sure if that would or could happen so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom