Attaching ikelite strobe to fiber optic sea and sea (DX-1g) camera and housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I just purchased a Sea & Sea DX-1G, which is a nifty little camera. What I did not know before it arrived was that there is no opening in the housing for a flash sync cord. It only allows fiber optic sync.

I don't want to be boxed into using Sea & Sea strobes, and would really prefer to use an ikelite.

Is there any kind of adapter that would allow me to do this?

I think you are out of luck if you specifically want to use an Ikelite with the DX-1g. I believe they are only electronically fired. Inons or Sea & Sea's can be fired either through fibre optics or electronically via sync cable. If you already have an Ikelite, I think you are out of luck. If not, you can consider the Inon's which are great. They also weigh less and are more compact than the Sea&Sea's I believe.

I personally use the YS-110...they are great. They throw out less light than the Z240's by Inon (the YS-250 will do even better)....but are on par with the 2000's from Inon. One great thing I found out from the Sea & Sea techs in Singapore is that if the battery compartment floods, your strobe is normally still ok.....just open, unscrew contacts, wipe dry and you are usually good to go! Don't know if that's the same for Inon.....

Here is a link to Digital Diver.net's strobe comparison chart. If you click on one of the "Quick Query" boxes on the left side, you'll see the full comparison chart. It has a row that shows which strobes are optically and/or cable fired.

Daz

Thanks... The chart seems to show that the DS 200 can be optically fired, but I can't seem to find any more information about it, what cables are required, etc.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom