attaching a strobe ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Reading the manual that came with my new strobe, it says to attach the optical cable to the housing (in front of the flash) using a piece of black tape.

Is there a more elegant solution? Black electrician's tape will come off underwater rather handily ... and duct tape leaves a sticky residue that is almost impossible to clean off the housing.

Wondering if there's anyone out there who uses an optical slave strobe ... and how you attach the optical cable to your housing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe they mean Gaffer's Tape? http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000163.php

We use gaff tape for concerts etc... It's black, and leaves no residue... but it's kind of spendy for just a piece. If you have a friend who works in a theater or music venue... they may have access to a bit for you.

Bob, what kind of housing do you have? I have made adapters for my Oly, maybe something similar would work. Either post a picture of the housing with a close up of the flash area, maybe I can come up with something.

Bob, welcome back!

My company sells a "hook and loop system" designed to keep orthotics securely in place in a shoe. That means, the glue is designed to withstand heat and moisture and stay!

I took a set, cut them down to the appropriate size, and put the "loop" part on the casing (below the flash) and the "hook" part on the optical cord. After cutting the end of the cord on the bias, I now can just put the cord on the case or take it off at will -- no fuss, no muss.

I'll give TSandM a set for you -- she's going to Cove 2 for a 3 p.m. meetup.

Peter Guy:
Bob, welcome back!

My company sells a "hook and loop system" designed to keep orthotics securely in place in a shoe. That means, the glue is designed to withstand heat and moisture and stay!

I took a set, cut them down to the appropriate size, and put the "loop" part on the casing (below the flash) and the "hook" part on the optical cord. After cutting the end of the cord on the bias, I now can just put the cord on the case or take it off at will -- no fuss, no muss.

I'll give TSandM a set for you -- she's going to Cove 2 for a 3 p.m. meetup.
Thanks Peter ...

I'll see Lynne this evening (I'll be there around 5:30 or so).

The gaffer's tape looks intersting too.

FWIW - it's a PT-030 housing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What strobe do you have? My INON uses a FO system and there's a clamp that holds it to the housing. The mask system fits on the camera itself inside the housing. Basically it's a piece of red film that's held on with a sicky frame....no nasty tape.

It would help to know more about how you're supposed to mount the FO cable, other than 'black tape'.

Dee:
What strobe do you have? My INON uses a FO system and there's a clamp that holds it to the housing. The mask system fits on the camera itself inside the housing. Basically it's a piece of red film that's held on with a sicky frame....no nasty tape.

It would help to know more about how you're supposed to mount the FO cable, other than 'black tape'.
This one ...

http://www.performancegear.com/SL960D-external-flash.html

In reading this review, it sounds like there's a tape provided ... but I didn't see anything like that in the kit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
This one ...

http://www.performancegear.com/SL960D-external-flash.html

In reading this review, it sounds like there's a tape provided ... but I didn't see anything like that in the kit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hmmm...On This page it says...."Simply insert the small flash sensor into the rubber hole of the flash head. Attach the deflector adapter to your camera and insert cable into the slot." Wish they were a little more specific! Attched to the camera or the housing? Did you see anything like what's in this photo in your kit? If not, better check with where ya got it. Pug didn't sell that to ya, did he?!?! :D

Dee:
Hmmm...On This page it says...."Simply insert the small flash sensor into the rubber hole of the flash head. Attach the deflector adapter to your camera and insert cable into the slot." Wish they were a little more specific! Attched to the camera or the housing? Did you see anything like what's in this photo in your kit? If not, better check with where ya got it. Pug didn't sell that to ya, did he?!?! :D
Hmmm ... mine doesn't look quite like that. I'll have to contact the folks at B & H and ask ... thanks.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom