Attaching a Garmin inReach Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For sure, and the challenge is I can see pros and cons for both. Pros of the Nautilus it'll find you the nearest help without being able to do two way communication, pros of the InReach is two way comms, but then you have to go through an SOS center which may increase your time to rescue substantially.

Remember that the Nautilus is a VHF line-of-sight transmission. It'll find you the nearest help that has an AIS receiver and is within a few miles. The Nautilus is really only useful from an equipped dive boat. The old Nautilus -- with the VHF marine band radio -- could call for help on Ch 16...which might be monitored by nearly all boats in some parts of the world, not in all parts.

Remember that the Nautilus is a VHF line-of-sight transmission. It'll find you the nearest help that has an AIS receiver and is within a few miles. The Nautilus is really only useful from an equipped dive boat. The old Nautilus -- with the VHF marine band radio -- could call for help on Ch 16...which might be monitored by nearly all boats in some parts of the world, not in all parts.
Your third alternative is a PLB. No subscription cost like the InReach.

@Rearviewmirror. I have an InReach Mini and an ACR View (PLB). While there is overlap in the sense that both have a SOS emergency "come get me button", but both have better features in differing circumstances. My ACR PLB does two things well. It transmits the emergency signal to satellites monitored by national rescue agencies and it floats (reduces the likelihood of me losing it in the water if dropped). The InReach has the advantage of being able to be paired with my smartphone, enabling me to text with rescue agencies and people on my contact list even if I do not have a smartphone available. That allows me to cancel the emergency signal if desired, and more precisely describe my problem/emergency. Also, family and friend contacts can track me if I enable that feature. That feature gives my family some peace of mind knowing where I am and if I am on the move. I prefer the mini when I am in remote areas on land with limited or no cell phone coverage. When diving I usually carry the PLB, and if not, I carry the InReach. If I am diving in an area where I am more concerned about the potential for getting separated from my dive group, or on land in very remote areas, I will carry both units. My philosophy is I paid for them, they are light, so why not have a backup? If I could only have one, it would be the PLB. Hope this helps.

@Rearviewmirror. I have an InReach Mini and an ACR View (PLB). While there is overlap in the sense that both have a SOS emergency "come get me button", but both have better features in differing circumstances. My ACR PLB does two things well. It transmits the emergency signal to satellites monitored by national rescue agencies and it floats (reduces the likelihood of me losing it in the water if dropped). The InReach has the advantage of being able to be paired with my smartphone, enabling me to text with rescue agencies and people on my contact list even if I do not have a smartphone available. That allows me to cancel the emergency signal if desired, and more precisely describe my problem/emergency. Also, family and friend contacts can track me if I enable that feature. That feature gives my family some peace of mind knowing where I am and if I am on the move. I prefer the mini when I am in remote areas on land with limited or no cell phone coverage. When diving I usually carry the PLB, and if not, I carry the InReach. If I could only have one, it would be the PLB. Hope this helps.
Very helpful - and lines up with research I did today as well. Sounds like PLB is the best option for "lost at sea" and the main challenge is finding some sort of diveproof container for it that isn't massive. I can't believe nobody has made a simpler box shaped 60m+ waterproof case for diving yet.

Very helpful - and lines up with research I did today as well. Sounds like PLB is the best option for "lost at sea" and the main challenge is finding some sort of diveproof container for it that isn't massive. I can't believe nobody has made a simpler box shaped 60m+ waterproof case for diving yet.
Cylinders are much stronger under pressure than boxes.
Look at the XL Dryfob.

Just got an InReach Mini and dive case as well. I found a small weight pouch on Amazon that it close to the measurements of the case and some orange paracord. I dive with a DiveRite BC,. I intend to attach it to attach the case to the pouch with about 3 feet of paracord, stored in the pouch. The pouch will attach to my waist strap or shoulder strap, locked in place with a tie-wrap.

I carry my InReach mini and a signal mirror in this.
1674515084667.png

Back
Top Bottom