Attaching a Garmin inReach Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spchampion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Garmin inReach Mini and I just got the scuba case in the mail today. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking in places with poor cell service, so the inReach is a good fit for my needs. The fact I can use it for scuba diving is even better.

But I have one question - how the heck should I attach the thing? The package does not include a clip of any kind, but the case looks too bulky to use a simple double headed snap. Should I get a carabiner? Loop of nylon on a two headed snap? Something else? What are other people doing?

Bonus question, where are you attaching it? I'm thinking on the front of my BCD, but I'm open to hearing other ideas. My thinking is that I should be able to easily get the case above water so I could activate it on the surface using my Descent mk2i without having to remove the inReach from the case or having to move it around.

Paracord through the small loop in the case and boltsnap, all inside a pouch

My Inreach Mini came with a carabiner. I would call Garmin and ask why you did not get one with your Inreach. I attach the carabiner, hooked through the only available place to hook it on the dive case, to a cord inside of my Zeagle utility pocket. However @LFMarm's suggestion would work just as easily.

The Mini definitely came with a carabiner, but I wasn't sure if that was marine safe or if it would rust to nothing. Are you using the carabiner that came with the Mini in salt water?

Quite sure the original carabiner is not in 316 stainless steel so I would not use it underwater

The carabiner is made from aluminum. I clipped it to the carrying handle of the BCD so it was kept close to the valve. The inreach got a fix within seconds after surfacing and published the location on the map. Really cool to log exact dive spots so the family could watch in near real time. The carabiner did not rust after 25 dives but I did rinse it with the camera gear after each dive.

I soak my Inreach dive case in warm water after diving each day. I have also used other high quality aluminum carabiners for years without any signs of rust on any components.

Paracord through the small loop in the case and boltsnap, all inside a pouch
Is there a knot I can do that leaves a loop to attach the double ender bolt snap but doesn't slide in the case handle?

I soak my Inreach dive case in warm water after diving each day. I have also used other high quality aluminum carabiners for years without any signs of rust on any components.
Sorry for the very old bump... But how did you decide on the InReach vs the Nautilus?

Sorry for the very old bump... But how did you decide on the InReach vs the Nautilus?
Do you want to alert to a satellite or to your dive boat? That is is the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom