Attached Boot vs Neoprene Sock w/Rock Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive2617

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

My attached boot needs replaced because it is getting air trapped in the sole (manufacturer said they had never heard of it happening and is crushing my foot as it decompresses from depth. The good news is I hate the boot because I have long skinny feet and they swim around in the boot and trap a s-load of air. I like the attached boot because I don't have to think about bringing separate boots but was wondering if people think this air trapping problem would be better with a neoprene sock/rock boot or if I should try to get a better fitting attached boot?

Sock/rock boot combo allows for a closer fit as you lace them up after putting them on. This obviously results in less air in the feet. It does take a little longer to suit up.

I have always preferred sock with boot but I have a EEE foot and the dive industry does not make boots for us Neanderthals

I don't have to think about bringing separate boots
My rock boots live in the bag with the suit, so I don't have to think about them, either. TBH, I have a checklist for all the other gear anyway. I say prioritize a good fit.

Have had both. I much prefer a good fitting set of attached boots. The good fitting part is important. The bad part, nearly impossible to try them on and find what size really works for you.

Socks are great for rentals. One size fits all, form it with the boot. Also better for turning inside out and drying the inside of the suit. I have done fine with packing a towel into the boot for a few minutes, swapping to another dry towel, and a flooded suit is only damp an hour later. A sock is easier, true. But lacing up boots is a pain for me. And having had laces get loose during a dive sucks as well.

If I was setting up a rental fleet, socks. Stock on the shelf in a store, socks. Trying to avoid a come back selling a suit, socks. Can't get the right size boots, socks. But getting boots done right, happy with boots.

I have also seen people with long shore hikes prefer rock boots, attached boots are better matched for boats.

It also depends on what flavor you like. I am more of a vanilla with chocolate syrup instead of chocolate ice cream.

I use a sock/rock boot combo now, and have used attached boots. Generally prefer good attached boots. The problem with the rock boot is that they are bulkier and therefore give you less precise control over fins. Can be overcome , but given choice I would go with attached boots.

Had both. Massively prefer neoprene socks and rock boots. Many reasons:
  • Reduced air migration around the calves and ankles as the suit fits snugly
  • Boots are separate from the suit, so sand and gravel, dirt, grime and muck isn’t rolled into the suit — bung them in a plastic bag if diving in mines and mucky places
  • Suit can be turned inside out for drying
  • Boots can be replaced or even be swapped for climbing boots or wellingtons if caving or climbing, i.e. appropriate soles
  • Replace boots when worn out
  • Much more comfortable to walk in
But it’s very much a personal preference.

• Boots are separate from the suit, so sand and gravel, dirt, grime and muck isn’t rolled into the suit — bung them in a plastic bag if diving in mines and mucky places
  • Boots can be replaced or even be swapped for climbing boots or wellingtons if caving or climbing, i.e. appropriate soles

+1 for all of these same reasons.

With my MTM suit (with attached boots) I don't have air pocket issues in the calves anymore. It is way better than my old socks and boots suit that needed gators to control lower leg air issues.
Being mostly a boat diver I don't need to swap out styles of boots.

You are very much correct, it is a personal preference. I can understand a different set of needs where socks and boots would be preferable.

One of my socks and boots experiments went poorly once. Tried a set of wetsuit booties as boots. Everything felt great on land. Got in the water, got an air pocket into the sock, stretched out. The suit was in the boot and that was in the fin, but that had all slid off my foot. I only had my toes in the sock/boot/fin. Recovered, not gracfully, finished the dive and gave up a on wetsuit booty rock boots. And they were nicer ones with a hard sole.

+1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom