Atomic Z1 vs. Z2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any differences between the Atomic Z1 and Z2 SECOND STAGES?

Of course. The Z2 is more expensive and not discontinued, which makes it much better!

I believe the Z2 has the swivel. All Atomics breathe the same though.

There are cosmetic changes and one slight functional change. The cosmetic changes are the purge cover and exhaust. The functional change is the case which changed the performance of the AFC slightly. Other than that there are no differences.

Hi Scared Silly:

I actually tried a Z1 when Atomic first introduced the regulator. I thought it breathed like crap. Low and behold, I now dive a Z2 and it's been bliss, even at 80 ft with the adjustment knob set to "Maximum" resistance. Apart from the differences that you mentioned, Atomic changed the design of the flow through piston. Would that have any discernable effect on performance or did Atomic Aquatics implement the change to provide a longer service life to the high pressure seat and piston?

O.

The piston change was from a sharp edge to a blunt edge which was because of an issue with creep. More of a mechanical change than performance change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom