Atomic Z1 vs ScubaPro MK25/S600 or G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EANx40:
I dive a MK25/S600 and my shop sells both. You can not go wrong with either one. The shop owner uses Atomic. He travels all over the world and service/parts are not a problem. I do know from working on the regs, Atomic is much easier to work than my Scubapro. Whatever brand you decide on, just don't scimp (sp?). Get the best your budget can handle.
Im the tech at my LDS and atomis is one of the regs we dont sell, and i have never see but have herd and read some good stuff about them.
any chance you have any PDF info on some of the atomic stuff.
id be intrested in lookin at it, and see whats goin on inside the regs for myself.
Thanks

Lead_carrier:
Once a tank gets low and a newer diver starts feeling the breathing resistance, from my experiences, they will start trying to breath harder which will over work an unbalance system very quickly. With my point of view, that is what makes them "dangerous" not the fact that they are unbalanced.
A Mk 2 Plus will flow 92 SCFM with a full tank while the R190 will flow 50 SCFM and the average diver, even breathing hard is only going to suck about 30 SCFM. So even if you get a significantly lower flow rate at lower tank pressures, a Mk 2 is still going to deliver all the gas a single diver needs. Two divers at depth on a Mk 2 with a 300 psi supply pressure is another story, but that is also a whole different problem and no reg on the planet is going to bail 2 idiots out of that situation.

The increased inhalation effort comes from the reduced IP and the reduction of downstream force on the second stage poppet, not a decrease in flow rate. With less donwstream force, the diaphragm has to produce more force to open the poppet and a higher inhalation effort results. You get some reduction in flow rate from the lower IP, but it is on the order of 25-30%, so the first stage will still deliver more air than the second stage.

When I first started diving, SPG's were still to some degree optional and I dove a couple of seasons with a Mk 3 and J-valve. The warning in terms of increased inhalation effort from both the valve and the unbalanced first stage was appreciated and gave ample time to surface from reasonably shallow depths (60 ft or less). In contrast, a balanced piston reg like the Mk 20 or Mk 25 will give superbly low inhalation resistance until the tank pressure falls well below the IP and the only warning you get that the tank is low is about a breath to a breath and a half.

It's safe to assume that relatively new divers are less likely to know their air consumption and/or check their SPG's than experienced divers, so for a new diver an unblanced piston reg is a good idea as it gives them much more warning that they are low on air.

I still use and prefer unbalanced piston first stages on my deco bottles despite a closet full of Mk 10 and Mk 15's for the same reason - a Mk 2 or a Mk 3 will give me several breaths warning, even on a 30-40 cu ft deco bottle, that I need to do a gas switch.

Diesel298:
Im the tech at my LDS and atomis is one of the regs we dont sell, and i have never see but have herd and read some good stuff about them.
any chance you have any PDF info on some of the atomic stuff.
id be intrested in lookin at it, and see whats goin on inside the regs for myself.
Thanks

You can look at their website at the User's manual. They also have more information on the web site itself:
http://www.atomicaquatics.com/PDF/Atomicmanual.pdf

bleon:
Ummmm........Z1?

Actualy I meant "can't you guess the brand I have?" The model is the B2.

aquaoren:
Why wouldn't you enlighten us as well on your extensive and vast experience using the reg? :D

7 dives so far.

What's your problem - jealous?

djanni:
7 dives so far.

What's your problem - jealous?
Problems? No problems at all but I find it a little ridiculous that 2 weeks ago you took a little beating in a thread you started about Atomic and now you share your extensive experience and recommend a reg.
Would you listen to someones recommendation that is based on 7 dives? :eyebrow:
Jealous? Hah :10:

aquaoren:
Problems? No problems at all but I find it a little ridiculous that 2 weeks ago you took a little beating in a thread you started about Atomic and now you share your extensive experience and recommend a reg.
Would you listen to someones recommendation that is based on 7 dives? :eyebrow:
Jealous? Hah :10:

Yep, you're jealous alright........ The only one taking about experience is you.

You'd be saying the same thing about any brand's high-end reg. For Atomic, I bought mid-range. So it doesn't appear to have anything to do with my personal experience diving the reg and everything to do with how much the reg cost.

Try to be a little bit more discrete with your accusations... maybe you can find someone you can shame over the equipment they buy.

djanni:
Yep, you're jealous alright........ The only one taking about experience is you.

You'd be saying the same thing about any brand's high-end reg. For Atomic, I bought mid-range. So it doesn't appear to have anything to do with my personal experience diving the reg and everything to do with how much the reg cost.

Try to be a little bit more discrete with your accusations... maybe you can find someone you can shame over the equipment they buy.
Holly crap, jealous? about what? The fact that you were able to make between 16-50 dives in 4 years?
Did you notice that you are the only one that is talking about money and how much their reg cost? Could it be that you were more impressed by the price of your gear than by it's ability to perform, since you definitely don't have the experience to evaluate it?
Now I'll talk about money too since you brought it up. Heck, my canister light cost more than your Atomic. :eyebrow:
Just FYI, I have a Mares Abyss, a Poseidon Jetstream and 2 Apeks DS4/ATX50. Where I dive, I wouldn't use an Atomic even if I'd get it as a present. Except maybe a M1 but even than I'd prefer a diaphragm reg.
Dude, I'm not trying to shame you over the gear you bought but for putting your foot in your mouth. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom