Atomic T2 to T2X upgrade - is it worth $500?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nevennett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone

I've spent some time reading about the pros and cons of upgrading my T2 to a T2X. An upcoming liveaboard got me enthusiastic enough to take the plunge. I had heard it was (relatively) inexpensive.

After a week of calling various dive stores around Auckland (most of which were stunningly unhelpful) I finally got a quote to do the upgrade... NZ$500+!!! That's US$400+!!!! That includes N$320 for the kit itself... I had seen people talking about it costing US$75 or so (less than NZ$100).

Two questions... 1) is it really worth THAT much... I want to be able to switch between air and nitrox without any worries, real or not, about compromising my safety...

2) Does anyone know how I can contact Darcy so I can ask her directly? The advertised NZ Atomic Aquatics supplier no longer exists, and I suspect an entirely unreasonable mark up from this particular dive shop. Perhaps I can try and source it alternatively.

I get the impression it would be cheaper to send my regulator overseas to do the upgrade!

Thanks in advance

Nick

I spoke to Darcy on the phone less than 24 hours ago, what she told me was that the conversion runs $75 or $150 USD, based the serial number range. Since I will be shipping it in I would have them service it while there. The total would be $200 or $275. Your LDS pricing sounds bloated.

I'd just sell the titanium reg, get a brass one, then you won't have this problem any more and you'll make some money on the deal.

Last edited:
The only place I've encountered more expensive for diving gear than NZ is Japan, and NZ dealers get all pissy when you don't wanna spend TWICE the amount on the same product online. Neil from Orakei Dive is a great guy, I know they don't stock atomic but he doesn't take the piss with his pricing and knows many distributors etc. $500 for the upgrade? NO WAY. Dude for $500 you can buy Z2 and have some change.

There are really only three parts that Atomic supplies to make the first stage nitrox/air switchable. The piston (monel), the swivel retainer (monel), and the HP seat retainer (stainless). The T2 already comes with a monel piston and monel swivel retainer. I have no idea why Atomic believes that the hp seat retainer need to be stainless instead of Ti. As for what gets done on the second stage, it is all bling (cosmetic). Nothing functional.

What your shop is probably quoting you on is an upgrade of a T1 into a T2x which in that case the piston and swivel retainer need to be swapped out, plus the kit comes with all the bling for making the second stage into a T2x. That runs $300 in the States.

I have two Tx1 and the first stage will have the monel piston replaced as it has the old piston and I will swap out the swivel retainer when I rebuild it. The other already has those parts. I will rebuild the second stages as is and leave off the bling. With the exception of replacing the exhausts with the wider version.

I think Atomic is being overly cautious, sure place the piston if the old style (not your case) and while in there replace the swivel if that makes you feel better (again not your case). After all that, just go dive the reg and not worry about it.

There are really only three parts that Atomic supplies to make the first stage nitrox/air switchable. The piston (monel), the swivel retainer (monel), and the HP seat retainer (stainless). The T2 already comes with a monel piston and monel swivel retainer. I have no idea why Atomic believes that the hp seat retainer need to be stainless instead of Ti. As for what gets done on the second stage, it is all bling (cosmetic). Nothing functional.

What your shop is probably quoting you on is an upgrade of a T1 into a T2x which in that case the piston and swivel retainer need to be swapped out, plus the kit comes with all the bling for making the second stage into a T2x. That runs $300 in the States.

I have two Tx1 and the first stage will have the monel piston replaced as it has the old piston and I will swap out the swivel retainer when I rebuild it. The other already has those parts. I will rebuild the second stages as is and leave off the bling. With the exception of replacing the exhausts with the wider version.

I think Atomic is being overly cautious, sure place the piston if the old style (not your case) and while in there replace the swivel if that makes you feel better (again not your case). After all that, just go dive the reg and not worry about it.

That being the case $500 is not too far off then. I apologise to NZ dealers who quoted $500.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

NZ is generally way overpriced. There is no doubt about that. I found them pretty unhelpful too... most people seemed to think I was from another planet when I mentioned this 'exotic' Atomic brand.

I actually bought the T2 second hand, complete with a Suunto D9 for an unbelievable deal. I just couldn't have justified either piece of kit otherwise. So in some ways an extra $500 doesn't seem that much, although I do get your point about buying a whole new reg for the price.

I'll look into further. Might even try Orakei Dive (again).

After talking with Jeff at Atomic directly today regarding upgrading older T1/T1x regs I want to add some additional information. The HP seat retainer is also monel (not stainless as I wrote above). Also in the case of a yoke configuration the yoke retainer (yoke nut assembly) is also replaced to be monel. The HP seat spring may also be changed out. With those changes in place the first stage is now a T2x which Atomic feels is compatible interchangeably with air and nitrox. The changes to the second stage are purely cosmetic.

Now here is funny part. Previously Atomic has said older titanium regs need to be dedicated to either air or nitrox but not used interchangeably. That has never made sense to me in this day and age of how the majority of nitrox is produced via either a membrane or continuous blended system. In both cases the purity of the gas produced will be the same (Grade E). The only difference is the O2 percentage. Nothing else. As such, one can get the same levels of potential hydro carbons regardless of which they are using. So to me I can not understand the logic.

Now I could see them saying older models must be dedicated to air only. If you want to use Nitrox you need to upgrade. That would make sense as some of the Ti parts that are most susceptible would be then changed over to monel.

It would also makes sense from BITD when nitrox was partial pressure blended and was really the only method for NITROX as the gas used would be cleaner (Mod Grade E) and thus keep the reg free from hydrocarbons. But once used with air or premix nitrox it would be "dirty".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom