Atomic ST1 on sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viakovlev

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I need to setup a second sidemount rig for my son. We have a pair of older Zeagle flathead VI and one ST1. The flatheads work fine, but I can say the ST1 breathes easier. I made side-by-side comparison (tried different combbinations of Zeagle 1st and 2nd stages). The flatheads have more of that feeling like breathing through a straw. Logic tells me that for the second setup I can just buy another ST1, but read some opinions that seat saving feature may not be good for a reg, which stays inactive underwater for sometime. Also the swivel is considered a possible point of failure (mine works like a German tank). As far as I understand the swivel feature may not be as useful on a sidemount.

Would Atomic ST1 be a good choice for sidemounted doubles? Are there other regs, which breathe like ST1 or better and are more suitable for sidemount regimes?

I saw Poseidon, which 2nd stage can be routed either right or left and have different engineering approach. Has someone compared ST1 and Poseidons side-by-side?

Thanks for replies.

The seat-saving feature is only an issue if you're shutting down the tank to which its connected (e.g., charged & off deco or stage bottle). I'm not much for sidemount, but I'm under the impression both tanks are generally left on while underway, even if you switch between them.

Back
Top Bottom