Closed Atomic jet seat and piston upgrade kit / Atomic T-tool

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first stage tool is nice but not essential. I recently cancelled my order for one from Scuba Tools because of a long lead time. Check with them for availability. You will need a bullet, though. The Scubapro bullet will work:
Store | Vintage Double Hose
The use of Christo Lube is essential on internal parts.

It is true you can service them without the 1st and 2nd stage tool. The one indespensable tool is the one for opening the reg case (Scubapro multitool, or better Scubatools pin-lock).

That said, I recently used what I understood to be the method of some of our gurus here for sealing the environmental chamber, and the 1st stage tool came in handy:

1) Put shims and spring on piston, then "pre-fill" the gaps in that piston-spring complex with Tribolube.

2) Insert 1st stage tool and line the walls of the deep-end of the environmental chamber with tribolube (that way you prevent lube getting into the HP area, though you could use something else, or be careful and wipe it off). Lining that area with lube should help avoid air pockets in the worst location possible (packing tool injects from the other side), which is at the piston shaft near the HP-oring (salt in that location can corrode the Monel piston, requiring restorative polishing). Well, with a sealed brass reg the LP piston o-ing land might be equally critical (= expensive to fix).

3) Insert piston-spring complex

4) Inject more tribolube with the packing tool (or a syrringe, Rob?)

5) Close the housing, pressurize, and wipe off excessive tribolube, which is then transferred into a syrringe or the packing tool. And I guess techs smarter than me test the IP stability in a pre-assembly before packing.

Our experts here (@rsingler) have done this 100x times more often than I and can chime in with corrections...

Yeah, both packing tools leave voids.
A syringe is the only sure way.

And yes. Test IP before packing. It usually goes up a few with the sluggish piston action induced by the lube. You don't want to find out afterward that you're above spec.
Means putting it together twice, but that's no big deal.

Thanks ya'll for the tips. I'm indeed skipping the packing tool and plan on just pre-packing. Doesn't seem anybody has a spare stashed that they want to get rid of, so went ahead and ordered them today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom