Atomic Factory service- What's replaced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score

I am always curious about this. Do old Ti2's come back with the new high flow case, and the newer 'magnum' lever? Can you specify that they upgrade the case if it is being replaced anyway? Can you pay extra to have the magnum lever installed?

Do old second stages with crumbling purge covers come back with the same purge cover graphics or the updated graphics? Can you specify the color since they are replacing them anyway? Brown ('bronze') has really gone out of fashion since the 90's and I am sure some people would want pink or yellow instead. Also some people like the all yellow of the old Ti2.

As a separate, unrelated question: were the pistons in the first stages ever Titanium?

I can not answer your question on the service replacement but the pistons were never Titanium. Either stainless or monel.

FWIW - atomic sells color kits for about $30 which includes a new purge, exhaust, and flow adjustment knob. From what I am gathering that is typically included in the cost and basically upgrades a second stage X1 -> X2 where X ={Z,B}.

BTW - why not just call Atomic as they are very good about answering questions.

I can not answer your question on the service replacement but the pistons were never Titanium. Either stainless or monel.

FWIW - atomic sells color kits for about $30 which includes a new purge, exhaust, and flow adjustment knob. From what I am gathering that is typically included in the cost and basically upgrades a second stage X1 -> X2 where X ={Z,B}.

(The b2, z2, t2 all have the high flow case, and the 'magnum lever' as well as the different purge graphics AFAICT.)

When you say included in the cost, do you mean included in the Atomic overhaul cost? My Atomic are all primaries, but I want them to be solid yellow since they are all with SS1s, and they are to be donated. Right now they are various colors, because that's what they are, but they are all crumbling. If I sent them to Atomic, I would want the solid yellow only to come back.

What do mean by high flow case? There are a couple versions of the exhaust.

I do believe the replacement of the purge cover, exhaust, and knob are part of the overhaul cost. So I believe you could request one particular color.

What do mean by high flow case?

According to their schematics and price list, and it's also blurbed about on their website, the T2, B2, Z2 all use a different part number case than the B1, Z1, T1. (On checking schematics it looks like

(T1, T1X, B1, Z1) (PRE-2005) use 02-0001-00

(T2, B2, Z2) (2005 HI-FLOW CASE) 02-0101-00

All my regs are t1 bodies so I have no idea how different they look/behave whatever.

Ah okay, now I know what you are talking about. Too be honest I would have to see them together to really know the difference. Hopefully, someone else can chime in.

I thought you were referring to the exhaust which they updated 6+ years (i.e. wide port for the M1, and the wider port for the others Z2, B2, etc.). These are inter-changable on both versions of the case.

Yeah, I like the M1 full width port. I changed over half of mine, and then got to thinking about if it would be cheaper overall to have them do it for me with a factory overhaul's replacement of plastic parts.

Between the rebuild parts, the wider T, and the replacement for my crumbling purge cover, I am getting close to what they would charge to overhaul in parts anyway. And they would certainly do it better than I would. I mean I like my mechanical skills, but they build the things to begin with. Plus I would probably get a new mouthpiece on them.

The question is would they let me specify the m1 wide exhaust Tee and the TiX purge cover as replacement parts. If not, I am going to have to buy the parts separately anyway, and I'll just do the overhaul myself.

I am always curious about this. Do old Ti2's come back with the new high flow case, and the newer 'magnum' lever? Can you specify that they upgrade the case if it is being replaced anyway? Can you pay extra to have the magnum lever installed?

Do old second stages with crumbling purge covers come back with the same purge cover graphics or the updated graphics? Can you specify the color since they are replacing them anyway? Brown ('bronze') has really gone out of fashion since the 90's and I am sure some people would want pink or yellow instead. Also some people like the all yellow of the old Ti2.

As a separate, unrelated question: were the pistons in the first stages ever Titanium?

Just picked up 4 second stages and 3 first stages from the Atomic Factory.

For the Ti2 First Stage, they will upgrade the blunt-end stainless piston for $60 if you have the Brass Ti2 first Stage. They'll convert the titanium Ti2 first stage to a T2x for about $250. Since I had the zirconium plated brass first stage, I opted for the $60 stainless piston upgrade. I believe you'll end up with the blunt-end monel piston with the $250 upgrade, but not 100% sure.

For the M1, they upgrade the blunt-end Monel piston for free.

No upgrades were available for the Z1 first or second stage. No upgrades were available for the M1 second stage. No upgrades were available for the Ti2 second stage.

EVERY plastic piece that comes off of the first and second stage is replaced for free. Color choice is yours.

Here's a rundown on what was replaced for free on all my first and second stages:

1st Stage spring
trim ring
end cap
saddle
front cover
Front Cover Ring
Exhaust Valve
AFC Cover
Confort Mouthpiece
Knob Retainer
Knob Adjust

My Z1 2nd stage came back with a Z1 cover plate.

The service isn't cheap. Here's a rundown on what I was charged for each 1st/2nd stage.

1st Stage Labor $47.50
1st Stage Kit $25.00
Environment Sealing $40.00
2nd Stage Labor $47.50
2nd Stage Kit $25.00

It took about a week and I dropped them off and picked them up. They were really easy to work with and if you do get to the factory, pretty much everyone there is an avid diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom