Atomic Cobalt totally dead. Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never used a cobalt, but have always been impressed with them. If they came out with a wrist mounted unit, I would probably buy one.

Since your original post was at 9:41 PM when no LDS was open, and Atomic wouldn't be answering their phones, I think you made the right choice starting here. It could have been something simple that someone with a cobalt might have just known, and the whole issue could have been over in the same evening.

Turns out that wasn't the case, but contacting the LDS and Atomic the next day resolved the problem by noon.

My point is, people shouldn't be reluctant to ask questions here, this is what the forum is for

Sorry I came across brusque. My bad. What was the resolution? I have the same computer - almost 200 dives now. I love it. That thing is so darn bright that I can use it as a light!

Next time, just buy a Shearwater Predator. More [complicated] computer, costs [a whopping $55] less [which you'll need to spend on batteries], easier to use [except when setting up, planning a dive, recalling a dive, calculating NDLs/stops for the next dive, and or actually diving--but it is easier to mount].

Fixed that for you.

The Predator is a solid tech computer and obviously offers some functionality the Cobalt doesn't, but it also lacks a number of the Cobalt's features and has a more complex/less intuitive UI. But is this thread really the place for the discussion you felt the need to start?

I have never used a cobalt, but have always been impressed with them. If they came out with a wrist mounted unit, I would probably buy one.

Since your original post was at 9:41 PM when no LDS was open, and Atomic wouldn't be answering their phones, I think you made the right choice starting here. It could have been something simple that someone with a cobalt might have just known, and the whole issue could have been over in the same evening.

Turns out that wasn't the case, but contacting the LDS and Atomic the next day resolved the problem by noon.

My point is, people shouldn't be reluctant to ask questions here, this is what the forum is for

Thanks, that's all I was trying to do. I figured maybe there was a combination of button pushes I could try to force it to start up or something. Atomic is just sending me a brand new unit as soon as they receive mine that the LDS sent off. Sounds like they are going to dissect the first one to see what went wrong.

Fixed that for you.

The Predator is a solid tech computer and obviously offers some functionality the Cobalt doesn't, but it also lacks a number of the Cobalt's features and has a more complex/less intuitive UI. But is this thread really the place for the discussion you felt the need to start?

Thanks, I looked at the Predator. It has great features, just not the ones I wanted or needed ultimately. The Cobalt has just the right amount of features for me without having extra junk that I won't use.

Fixed that for you.

Well, since you brought it up... How much do you think it's going to cost to replace the battery on the cobalt WHEN it finally dies? I do about 250 dives per year, and I replace a single battery per year on the Shearwater. So that's 4 bucks. To replace the Cobalt Battery is 300. Next issue. Complex UI? What could be more complex than left button scroll, right button select? It's clear you've never dove the shearwater if it came off as complex. Or maybe you're just simple. Less Intuitive? Really? LOL. You've never touched a Predator have you.

A Predator will take you from the novice all the way to the very advanced. How long will it take to outgrow the Cobalt. Open Water Diver > Nitrox Diver > Advanced Nitrox Diver.... oh crap, now what. It sucks at deco, no gradient factors, no helium, no ccr, doesn't have unlimited gases.

Yeah, I prefer to buy once and be done with it. Buying gear as you outgrow it sucks at $1200 per pop.

Uh, no. The battery replacement for a cobalt is $50

The Predator is a great computer. Go start a thread about it! We're talking about the Cobalt here.

Well, since you brought it up... How much do you think it's going to cost to replace the battery on the cobalt WHEN it finally dies? I do about 250 dives per year, and I replace a single battery per year on the Shearwater. So that's 4 bucks. To replace the Cobalt Battery is 300. Next issue. Complex UI? What could be more complex than left button scroll, right button select? It's clear you've never dove the shearwater if it came off as complex. Or maybe you're just simple. Less Intuitive? Really? LOL. You've never touched a Predator have you.

A Predator will take you from the novice all the way to the very advanced. How long will it take to outgrow the Cobalt. Open Water Diver > Nitrox Diver > Advanced Nitrox Diver.... oh crap, now what. It sucks at deco, no gradient factors, no helium, no ccr, doesn't have unlimited gases.

Yeah, I prefer to buy once and be done with it. Buying gear as you outgrow it sucks at $1200 per pop.

Fanboys are always amusing, so I'm happy to digress with you!

Granted, the Cobalt doesn't do helium, CCR, or allow for explicit adjustment of the gradient factor. Though given that it's an air/nitrox computer, tweaking the gradient factor is not really much of an issue; and I suspect, though RonR is probably be the only one here who could confirm, the Cobalt's vague "conservatism" adjustment likely involves changing the gradient factor. But anyway, sure!, if one ever wanted to dive helium mixes or use a CCR, the Cobalt would be a terrible choice. Of course, so would a Predator, given that the X1 is available -- if the day comes that I just absolutely must use trimix or a rebreather, I can't imagine choosing the Predator over the X1. If the day ever comes that I want to have a Ti-83 style interface computer that's effectively running a less comprehensible version of V-Planner, I'll consider strapping on a Shearwater. In all seriousness, the Predator is a fine computer, though if I needed the functionality it has that the Cobalt lacks, I'd be hard pressed to justify it over the X1. It's slightly cheaper, but I don't really concern myself with cost when it comes to choosing the gear I want to use in support of my plans to return to the surface alive and un-bent.

But since I (like quite a few divers, even divers who -- horror of horrors -- don't use helium below 100') only use air for backgas, the Cobalt is an excellent choice. I know this will be shocking for such an outspoken tech expert as yourself, but backgas and two deco mixes is plenty for a lot of people. And unlike the Predator, the Cobalt lets me plan out my dives in advance -- right there on the computer. But maybe I'm just not doing "very advanced" diving. So terribly sad for me!

I'll leave off by pointing out that you said whether a user interface is complex depends on what buttons one uses to scroll through it and select the various options it presents. That's really all I needed to read before writing you off entirely. Happy diving, mate.

Wow, that's a lot of untrue dribble. And with that, I too have written you off. You have at least 3 errors in your post. 4 if you count "outspoken tech expert". I talk VERY little about tech diving here. Something about casting pearls before swine.

Oh, and I wasn't trying to get into a big debate, just bored one day and figured I'd throw in some levity with "buy a predator". No need for a big debate with some newb diver.

Have a good day. I'm out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom