Atomic Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the minor problems the cobalt is having I wish AA would stand behind there product and do a two year warranty. I am scarred to buy a 1300 dollar computer and have the buttons rust out in 18 months. Don how "strict" is the one year warranty?

The Cobalt's warranty is two years, if it is registered- as a way to encourage users to register their Cobalts so they can be notified of firmware updates, etc. From the web page:
"Customers who register their Cobalt Dive Computer on line or by mail will automatically have their warranty extended to 2 years instead of the standard 1 year period."

And, from my experience, and I think what you will find you look through ScubaBoard forums, Atomic stands behind their products, period. I have never come across a situation where they didn't do whatever it took to solve a problem, in or out of official warranty.

Ron

Thanks Ron that makes me feel better then. Guess I'm going to my dive shop this weekend to pick it up. I used the cobalt 1 on a dive trip and it blew my cobra 3 out of the water. Thanks again Ron

Very interested in getting the Cobalt 2. Is there a direct sync solution from it to an iOS device iphone/iPad. I see the sync to a mac and then transfer to an iPhone but is there a solution to go straight from the Cobalt 2 to the iPhone?

I've looked at the DCbuddy but it doesn't appear there is a compatible cable for the Cobalt's.

Does anything exist now or is there an upcoming product planned?

Yes, there is DiveMate USB DiveMate | Innovation for Divers which I think is just becoming available or will be soon, for iOS and Android. Not sure why there is not yet DC Buddy support.

The Cobalt uses a standard USB cable that you can buy anywhere, and a standard USB interface (not a serial to USB conversion). There is a small adapter to connect the cable to the waterproof contacts on the Cobalt, but it's just a pass through connection.

We support the Libdivecomputer project, which is an open source library to provide the ability for third party dive log developers to connect to various computers.

Ron

Yes, there is DiveMate USB DiveMate | Innovation for Divers which I think is just becoming available or will be soon, for iOS and Android. Not sure why there is not yet DC Buddy support.

The Cobalt uses a standard USB cable that you can buy anywhere, and a standard USB interface (not a serial to USB conversion). There is a small adapter to connect the cable to the waterproof contacts on the Cobalt, but it's just a pass through connection.

We support the Libdivecomputer project, which is an open source library to provide the ability for third party dive log developers to connect to various computers.

Ron

Thanks for the links Ron. It appears the Divemate iOS app is imminent but the USB dongle starts crowd funding in April of this year so it seems to be several months off from shipping.

It would appear so- I just got notice of it. You could contact Lars there for more info. Bottom line is that I expect solutions to become available for USB computers in general to download directly to iOS/ Android. We are very supportive of these efforts.

Ron

It would appear so- I just got notice of it. You could contact Lars there for more info. Bottom line is that I expect solutions to become available for USB computers in general to download directly to iOS/ Android. We are very supportive of these efforts.

Ron

I emailed Lars. He let me know the Cobalt to iPhone/iPad solution will crowd fund in April and if it reaches its goal they will begin production and should be available for shipment in July to customers.

Everyone that wants their Cobalt to sync directly with Apple iPhones and iPads please get in on the crowd funding campaign in April to make this product a reality!

Here is the link again where there is a short survey to give them a heads up on demand for the various products and a chance to win one for completing the survey-

DiveMate | Innovation for Divers

Don't blame Atomic, it's not their fault. We have a long list of improvements we would like to make in firmware, but other development, such as the Cobalt 2, or improving the compass, or the firmware updating process, etc. has taken priority. Some tasks are more complex as far as the code is concerned, or are things we want / need to do as part of a batch of features or a larger rework.

The change the OP was beta testing- zooming the timer display at stops to make it more legible- is something that was clearly a functional improvement for a large number of users, something that there were a lot of request for, and that turned out to be fairly easy in the context of our development. Because it is such a clear benefit, we are working to implement it in a firmware update for older Cobalt 1's as well. We hope this can be made available this month. Silencing all alarms is a feature that has been requested, just not as much. We do plan to make it available as part of a larger update when we get through some of the things we are currently working on. The "Expert Mode" tag is my idea for a batch of features that tend to be desired by more technically oriented or experienced divers and that would make sense to implement together. Keeping them in a mode might avoid complicating the interface for the typical recreational diver.

Ron

Anything new on the update for the Cobalt 1 for zooming the timer display for larger countdown numbers?

Anything new on the update for the Cobalt 1 for zooming the timer display for larger countdown numbers?

Things have been very slow getting through the testing, but I think new firmware versions for both Cobalt 1 and 2 should be posted soon. Sorry it's taken so long.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom