Atomic Cobalt 2 battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone guide me where to buy a replacement battery for the Atomic Cobalt 2 in Australia?
No one can help me in the industry. I keep getting told they are no longer supplying or can get them.

Look under the thread titled​

“Cobalt 2 Flaky Battery Behavior”​

And contributor RonR

Ron and his wife were the original developers and have found a suitable battery replacement. Requires some work changing the connector

I was having problems with my battery holding a charge and thought I needed a new one. However it turned out a good cleaning of the connectors on my unit solved the problem. There was debris and it was causing the battery to drain.

RonR walked me through the process of diagnosing the problem

Dave

Reactions: ehv
The Amazon link I posted in the thread referenced by Dave seems to be broken- below is a description to search for. This is a battery we have tried for fit and compatibility. It is a 2500 mA capacity where the original Cobalt battery was 2000 mA, so the fuel gauge will slightly underreport the time remaining on a charge. This general form factor is pretty common, but for the Cobalt there needs to be a thermistor installed on the battery for it to work- these will have three wires.

It is necessary to solder on the Cobalt battery’s original connector to the new batter to make the repair. Red=power, black=ground, the other color, which can vary, is the thermistor.

533-000132 for Logitech Battery G933, G933S, G533, G533S, G935 Headset Battery

-Ron

The Amazon link I posted in the thread referenced by Dave seems to be broken- below is a description to search for. This is a battery we have tried for fit and compatibility. It is a 2500 mA capacity where the original Cobalt battery was 2000 mA, so the fuel gauge will slightly underreport the time remaining on a charge. This general form factor is pretty common, but for the Cobalt there needs to be a thermistor installed on the battery for it to work- these will have three wires.

It is necessary to solder on the Cobalt battery’s original connector to the new batter to make the repair. Red=power, black=ground, the other color, which can vary, is the thermistor.

533-000132 for Logitech Battery G933, G933S, G533, G533S, G935 Headset Battery

-Ron
Ron,

Is the Cobalt 2 battery replacement the same for the original Cobalt? Thermistor and all?

Darryl

Yes, the same battery is used in both.

-Ron
Ok. Thanks. I have a near perfect Cobalt 1 with a short-lived battery. I will try changing it.

What specific thermister should be installed in the line?

Darryl

Ok. Thanks. I have a near perfect Cobalt 1 with a short-lived battery. I will try changing it.

What specific thermister should be installed in the line?

Darryl
The battery I reference above comes with the thermistor already installed in the battery's internal PCB. There are three wires coming out of the battery, positive (usually red), ground (usually black), and the thermistor wire which will be some other color. These need to be soldered onto the corresponding positions on the Cobalt's battery connector. The Cobalt gets the signals from the thermistor and will shut down charging if the temperature is out of range. If the Cobalt doesn't see the thermistor it won't recognize that a battery is present.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom