Atomic B2 free flow issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fourseventeen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So my wife decided she wanted to sell her perfectly good S600/mk25 set up so she could get a PINK...yeah PINK, Atomic B2. Today she got in the pool with it to try it out before our trip next week to the Caribbean. Anytime she pulled it from her mouth it wanted to free flow, if it hung upside down (in the calm pool water) it would free flow, when she had the reg in her mouth and jumped in the pool while holding it in her mouth it flowed. Is this normal??
I never took my B2 out of my mouth while diving before so I never noticed if mine did this or not...so I went in and got my reg set up and jumped in with her and sure enough....mine does it too! So I can only assume this is normal.

Anyone else with the B2 notice this? And what do you do to keep it from happening? I thought these regs were suppose to adjust themselves and they claim that the auto adjust limits free flow.

Anyone who has experience and can post up I would appreciate it. We leave in 5 days for the Caribbean so I dont want to have any issues with our trip. Thank you.

This might be a stupid question but did you try tightening the adjustment knob. Always remember that if you place it face down it should stop freeflowing. If it doesn't stop it and this is bothering you I would suggest stopping by you LDS and they should be more than happy to tune it down a little for you.

Mine did the same thing on my first dive with it. I tightened the knob on the side and bingo a perfect reg!

yeah if I tighten it ALL the way in...then it stops. Of coarse if I aim it mouth piece down it stops as well. I read the owners manual and it says " leave the adjustment knob all the way out", the only time to put the knob in is for surf entrys or stride from the boat.
With both our regs acting the same I can only assume this is normal but to me this seems like it free flows way to easy.

I have a B1 and have the same problem. If I have the adjustment knob all the way out, free flows when I take it out of my mouth unless I do it really slowly. If I have the adjustment knob halfway or all the way in, no problems than.

yeah if the adjustment knob is all the way in...then it wont freeflow. But according to the instruction/owners manual it states to leave the knob all the way out. "do not leave the knob in the detune position while diving" as quoted from the manual.

Just as an FYI, most any well-tuned 2nd stage with a strong venturi effect will freeflow if not handled carefully when set to the easiest breathing setting. This is normal. It is not unique to Atomic regs... most well-tuned 2nd stages will do it.

If while floating on the surface you spit the reg out of your mouth and it "plops" the into the water mouthpiece-up: Big freeflow.

If you quickly remove the reg from your mouth underwater and tilt the mouthpiece up: Big freeflow.

Careful handling will prevent most freeflows. Regs that have dive - predive settings or adjuster knobs can also be temporarily "detuned" to prevent freeflows while on the surface.

The reg should not freeflow during normal use (in your mouth), and you should always be able to stop an accidental freeflow by turning the reg mouthpiece down or putting your thumb over the mouthpiece opening.

While you can have the 2nd stages "detuned", I'd use that as a last resort.

Best wishes.

A typical test is to dunk the reg under water 1-1.5 inches, diaphragm down, and the reg should freeflow as that is the cracking pressure.

Unfortunately the Atomics have no switch, so you have the detune by turning the knob.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom