Atomic Aquatics "Smoke on the Water"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aw, Steve, lighten up! RJP posted a joke and a funny one at that. Laugh and move on. :D

Splits vs blades always produces passion for some reason.

In any case, I've used SOTWs for a couple of years now and like them a lot, the clumsy name notwithstanding. As others have mentioned, they run long, big and wide, making them a little tougher to transport and deal with topside than smaller, shorter fins.

But once in the water, they're extremely comfortable. So much so that early on I found myself checking my feet to make sure they were still on. Probably a function of the spring straps vs my old Aqualung blade buckles.

The spring straps also make putting them on and taking them off a snap.

If you like splits in general, you'll probably like these in particular.

For what its worth,I seen them at scubatoys.com: size medium with spring straps demo $185

I personally use Apollos, as I'm short, and Atomics are a bit long. But my son has a pair with spring straps and loves them. We have never had any trouble with packing and travelling. They are stiffer than some other splits, but they do provide good propulsion, from what I can see. If you have a chance, try them and see what you think - best way to buy gear, yes?

I have been diving with atomic splits for more than 6 years now and can't ever see me gong back to a paddle fin.

That being said, they are positive and make my feet floaty. I may see if adding spring straps will help with this. It really only becomes an issue when I'm doing super macro uwp as it "throws me off balance" while trying to get good focus on a teeny, tiny subject! :D

I tried a number of fins and settled on Apollo fins with spring straps. I got them in yellow for buddy diving visibility since Monterey can have low visibility. They fit my rock boots. I like the thrust, comfort, and feel of these fins. They are neutrally buoyant which helps with a dry suit. A paddle fins are a bit easier for frog kicks forward and reverse. I had Volo's which are very nice paddle fins.

I have a pair of Smokes and like them a lot.
I actually preferred the Apollos, but wanted a positively buoyant fin and rank them right behind the Apollos in performance. The Apollos are extremely comfortable but are very negative.
On the otherhand, the Smokes are stiffer and easier to perform alternate kicks.

They are on the longish side and are not as robust as some other fins.

Edit: Suggestion: If you get them (with the spring straps), remove that big plastic loop from the springs. It gets in the way and will snag.

I don't like the Atomic spring straps because they still have a plastic buckle Which provides for 4 adjutments). When I get a chance, I plan to make some proper ones for my fins.

I Demo'd the SOTW finss. and was my 1st split trying out. I used a few differnt Blade finns but settled on turtles which i currently used. 1st impression When i went to kick felt like the fin fell apart. as i am used to givin a little force and instantly moving. BUt after diving a little the finns felt nice and moved along with ease. The biggest downside for me that I didnt like is when i was stopped and needed to move it took a couple kicks to go. So i stuck with my turtles.

The biggest downside for me that I didnt like is when i was stopped and needed to move it took a couple kicks to go.

Yup. That is the nature of all split fins. The stiffer splits help somewhat in that regard.

And splits will never be as "precise" as paddles. My main go to fins are paddles, but when I need to deal with a current for an extended time, the splits rock.

When you run into currents and splits are not enough, just pull out your scooter and hit the trigger... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom