Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd suggest you look at the other computer manufacturers on ScubaBoard ... most have several thousand messages. Guess they REALLY weren't ready for release ... ;-)

You bring up a good point. Between the premium cost, inevitable production hiccups, and the reputation Atomic earned on their far less complex mechanical products customer expectations may be unreasonable. It is unlikely that any battery powered electronic computing devices will archive the same level of reliability as a modern regulator in my lifetime.

Two of the biggest complaints I've seen have been the carrying sleeve and the dive log software. Despite this being a $1200 piece of equipment I'm surprised to see the number of complaints regarding these two issues as neither were ever promised by Atomic upon purchasing the unit.

I'm pretty sure the dive log software was promised as part of the $1200 Colbalt "package" (probably shouldn't have been, but whatever). I'm also pretty sure that while it was eventually delivered in a rather ugly format for Windows users, those of us who prefer Macs never got the stripped down, Colbalt-only free version of MacDive that was suggested as a solution somewhere earlier in this thread (let me be the first to admit that I could have missed it somewhere on the MacDive site).

All that matters to me is the functionality of the computer itself and in that respect it's a major :thumbs_up:. I was indifferent to the $1200 price tag plus an extra $25 for MacDive... but I can see where someone who thought they were buying dive log software along with a Colbalt for their hard-earned $1200 might be miffed.

As for the case, I should be thanking Atomic that they didn't give me the option of buying a $30 soft case with a $35 Atomic Aquatics logo on it - the Colbalt merits a Pelican case with custom cut foam :)

RonR

I haven't been around for a while it is good to see you are still here. My question is about the updated software. I downloaded the current update from the AtomicAquatics sight which is shown as version 1.4.4 dated 8-15-11. The file I downloaded was titled as Logbook5_14_2011.msi and the version after uninstalling the current version via the control panel software uninstall applet in windows 7 and reinstalling the update just downloaded is shown in the about box of Logbook as Version 1.2.4151.34987.

That is not version 1.4.4. Also when I try to download the latest firmware this version of logbook does not have an option to Select “Get latest update” on the flash the DC page. Seems to me the wrong version of LogBook is loaded on the web page. Can you shed any light on what I may be doing wrong?

RonR

I haven't been around for a while it is good to see you are still here. My question is about the updated software. I downloaded the current update from the AtomicAquatics sight which is shown as version 1.4.4 dated 8-15-11. The file I downloaded was titled as Logbook5_14_2011.msi and the version after uninstalling the current version via the control panel software uninstall applet in windows 7 and reinstalling the update just downloaded is shown in the about box of Logbook as Version 1.2.4151.34987.

That is not version 1.4.4. Also when I try to download the latest firmware this version of logbook does not have an option to Select “Get latest update” on the flash the DC page. Seems to me the wrong version of LogBook is loaded on the web page. Can you shed any light on what I may be doing wrong?
I suspect that the uninstall didn't actually uninstall everything. If I recall, you needed to remove both the program and the drivers, but I'm not using Windows much and I haven't actually tried the update myself- will try to do so later. I did just check the link and it appears to be downloading the new file. If you continue having problems I'd suggest calling Atomic. They are more up to speed on the download software.

good luck, Ron

I suspect that the uninstall didn't actually uninstall everything. If I recall, you needed to remove both the program and the drivers, but I'm not using Windows much and I haven't actually tried the update myself- will try to do so later. I did just check the link and it appears to be downloading the new file. If you continue having problems I'd suggest calling Atomic. They are more up to speed on the download software.

good luck, Ron

Ron,
I did uninstall the drivers. I didn't want to do too much cleaning so as not to lose my past notes and log files. I have now transferred everything to Diving Log 5 and will do a complete uninstall and cleanup what the normal uninstall leaves behind and try again. I have now fully moved to Diving Log. The only reason I need the Atomic software is to flash the DC. As it is I found out I could just download the .hex file from the Mac side and flash that to my DC using the old version that was already installed. I am good with that.

Unfortunately, with that said, I am still so very disappointed with the lack of professionalism that this software has been developed and disseminated with. As a result my reports to others as well as my LDC have been that this DC has great potential but as of this time it is not ready for prime time. Mostly as a result of the problematic software and the lack of direct internet support. There phone support is great but you need to deal with their scheduled availability. (Office hours) Not at all convienent for me.

Ron you have been a blessing to us early adopters and a credit to Atomic even though you are not a direct employee. I understand your strong desire to see your design efforts succeed but Atomic needs to step up and support a potentially great DC with the necessary details that will make it great. Get a software developer that can match the DC’s potential and move internet support to their web site so they can get a direct sense of the things their customers are saying without leaning on a third party regardless of the great relationship they may have with you.

Well I just bought my second Atomic Cobalt for my wife today at Divers Direct. I have really enjoyed using mine. Either your new test name is Jim Duncan and you test it 14 times, or I was sold a used computer!!! Shame on them for putting it in stock. Nevertheless we need to use it tomorrow, so I guess we will have to accept it. Is it possible to "hard reset" the device? Will re-flashing the firmware accomplish this? I basically want to remove all the dives and any data that may have been accumulated by the previous user.

<snip> I have now transferred everything to Diving Log 5 and will do a complete uninstall and cleanup what the normal uninstall leaves behind and try again. I have now fully moved to Diving Log. The only reason I need the Atomic software is to flash the DC.<snip>
<snip> There phone support is great but you need to deal with their scheduled availability. (Office hours) Not at all convienent for me.
Diving Log (and MacDive, for Mac users) are, I believe, far better logging programs than any computer manufacturer has or is likely to produce, and they will go on getting better, because they have developers primarily focused on them. Atomic deserves credit for supporting these developers and open source drivers, something no other major manufacturer has done. But yeah, the Atomic software left something to be desired, and took a long time to arrive.:depressed:

The lack of web based support is something I've been pushing on for a while, and I think it may be happening soon, with some website revisions. That would mean you could have access to someone who understands Windows issues with the software (which I do not) on your schedule. I agree, this is pretty basic stuff, and would probably save Atomic time in the long run. It would sure make my life easier and more predictable.

It's not an excuse, but by way of explanation Atomic- which is a very small business- has been devoting 200% effort to producing a very complex product with high quality and reliability, jumping on any problems that might occur, while coping with a demand that has far exceeded expectations. Issues not related to the core product have not gotten the attention they should have. This fall will bring some cleaning up of things that have been allowed to slide.

Ron

Well I just bought my second Atomic Cobalt for my wife today at Divers Direct. I have really enjoyed using mine. Either your new test name is Jim Duncan and you test it 14 times, or I was sold a used computer!!! Shame on them for putting it in stock. Nevertheless we need to use it tomorrow, so I guess we will have to accept it. Is it possible to "hard reset" the device? Will re-flashing the firmware accomplish this? I basically want to remove all the dives and any data that may have been accumulated by the previous user.
I've replied with a PM to your post on another thread. Very strange, obviously a new computer should have only the test dive in the log. It is possible to completely wipe out the logbook, but just re-flashing the firmware will not change any log data. It's more of a process, as I laid out in my message.
Ron

Well I just bought my second Atomic Cobalt for my wife today at Divers Direct. I have really enjoyed using mine. Either your new test name is Jim Duncan and you test it 14 times, or I was sold a used computer!!! Shame on them for putting it in stock. Nevertheless we need to use it tomorrow, so I guess we will have to accept it.

That's hilarious! I bet you don't have to accept it even though you had to use it. I'm sure DD will make it right.

Congrats on the new Cobalt, btw. Both my wife and I each have one and we love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom