Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's a problem with the Cobalt, particularly if it has continued to read pressure consistently on other dives. What I suspect is a tank valve that was partially blocked or not fully open, allowing the HP to fluctuate to the 1st stage of the regulator. This would become more extreme as the pressure was less in the tank. The exact moment a sample was taken in relation to a breath cycle could create fluctuations like this. With a decent regulator you probably wouldn't notice any difference in breathing effort. Firmware versions 1.1 and later, now on the Atomic website, sample the HP more frequently and would probably show the fluctuations more clearly. This is not a diagnosis (I could be missing something), but I think is the most likely explanation.

I'll pass along the comments on the desktop software. Point #6 is interesting- in the Cobalt's internal log, does it show this? I suspect not. By default we do not display the last two minutes of recorded dive data if the depth is less than 2'. We have to keep recording and storing data for two minutes, because if you go back down it is technically (as far as the algorithm is concerned) a continuation of the same dive. The desktop software is displaying this part of the dive, and it probably should not. This came up earlier when someone observed that if you ascend right under the boat, get out, and turn off your air quickly, you could get a low air alarm on the surface- the dive continues for two minutes.
Ron

It definitely shows up in the log on the cobalt itself.
I was confused when I was looking at her log after the dive to see she had an air used of ~81.6cf for the dive. Really caught my eye. heh.
It was a quick out of the water for us because of the chop. We were the 2nd group to surface, the ladder was clear, so we hopped right on within that 2' time id guess.

thanks for the response on the other stuff as well
That was my thought with the strange pressure readings.
Reg is a brand new legend lx.

It goes directly from pushing the start button to connection closed. The cobalt does not even blink it is still at the connection page saying it is connected. When I check the version it is still at..

sounds like you solved your problem, but for others, I had a similar problem when updating to 1.10 from 1.07 this past saturday. I tried flashing, but it went straight to connection closed and nothing happened with the cobalt screen.

The cobalt indicated it was connected, it was charging, and my computer noticed a new USB device was connected. Tried unplugging\plugging it back in in various combinations with no luck.

For whatever reason, I decided to try my Canon USB cable since I was also going to download my photos from the trip after I was done with the firmware. For whatever reason, it worked on the first try for both computers with this cable.

I did try both sets of cobalt computers cables and adapters in various combinations with nothing working.

could have been a fluke, but im not sure why

I just received my new Cobalt, charged it up and then pluged it into the computer to update the software and the screen turned off. Tried to turn it on when I put it back onto the charger and under pressure in water at home but nothing helped. I'm calling Atomic in the am to get the directions to return for another new cobalt hopfully overnight via fedex.
This realy sucks had the computer less then an hour

Doug

I just received my new Cobalt, charged it up and then pluged it into the computer to update the software and the screen turned off. Tried to turn it on when I put it back onto the charger and under pressure in water at home but nothing helped. I'm calling Atomic in the am to get the directions to return for another new cobalt hopfully overnight via fedex.
This realy sucks had the computer less then an hour

Doug

If it shut down during the firmware update, then there is almost certainly nothing wrong with the Cobalt, but the update failed. The screen going blank is normal, but it should come up to the time-date screen after 1-2 minutes when the firmware update is complete. The most common reason for failure, by far, is selecting the wrong file for the firmware- followed closely by Windows drivers not being installed (drivers are not an issue on the Mac). Also, any disruptions to the connection during the file transfer will cause the update to fail.

Have you tried the recovery process shown on the Atomic site? It's here: Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software This tells you how to load the firmware without the onscreen cues, and covers the most common updating errors.

If the firmware updater did not complete the update, then plugging in the charger or submerging the computer won't do anything. You don't say if you are on PC or Mac, but If you PM me I can help you get the Cobalt back up.

Ron

Thanks Ron I took your advice went through each step and it worked. When I first tried to update using windows vista I didn't forgot to unzip the file...This time I unzipped the file before I went to locate flash screen. Thanks Ron I'm setting up the equipment for my granddaughter to have when we dive Jupiter Beach Florida in July. I gave her my cobra console computer to use as her backup. For her main computer I bought her the new Mares Icon HD (later to be exchanged the end of June for an air intergrated type). After setting her Mares up I just had to replace my backup console with the Cobalt a color screen for me. I use the Galileo Sol for my main computer and wish they design a new HD color screen.

Thanks again

Doug

Ron, will updating the Cobalt eventually be as simple and intuitive as using the Cobalt?

The reason I'm asking is that currently the update process seems overly complicated and risky as evidenced by the number of posts here by Cobalt owners having update problems.

The Cobalt's single greatest feature is how simple and intuitive it is to use when diving, with the beautiful screen a close second. But the update process is now the weakest feature, having replaced the lack of an update process altogether.

I'm a Mac user at home. Updating my Mac is simple. I get a pop up message from Apple advising there's an update and asking me if I want to download it. I click "yes" or "accept" or whatever, and the update downloads. Once the download is done, voilà! that's it. Sometimes I'm told I have to restart my computer for the update to take effect, but often not even that's required.

This morning on my Windows machine at the office, I got a pop up from Adobe advising there was an update available. I clicked "yes" or "accept" or whatever and it immediately downloaded and notified me when it was finished.

These updates are so simple that even a non-geek like me can do it without screwing it up and without fear that I'm going to crash and burn my computer in the process.

Will the Cobalt update process ever be that simple and risk free?

I'm going to Belize in two days. I think there's been at least one update released since I downloaded the first update a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to update my Cobalts again, but under the circumstances I'm not going to take a chance on screwing it up until I return.

Last edited:
Ron, will updating the Cobalt eventually be as simple and intuitive as using the Cobalt?

Yes, what you describe is what we hope to get to, fully integrating the updating process so the user doesn't have to download a separate file. There will still need to be desktop software that can communicate over the internet (inherent in the examples you mention, but not in the Cobalt internally- we don't have integral wi-fi yet :D). Most of the difficulties have been people finding the actual firmware file, installing Windows drivers, or in some cases having dirty connections to USB.

Yes, what you describe is what we hope to get to, fully integrating the updating process so the user doesn't have to download a separate file. There will still need to be desktop software that can communicate over the internet (inherent in the examples you mention, but not in the Cobalt internally- we don't have integral wi-fi yet :D). Most of the difficulties have been people finding the actual firmware file, installing Windows drivers, or in some cases having dirty connections to USB.

Hey Ron when you add the WiFi can you add underwater GPS to agument the compass??

BTW i agree that simplier is better. I AM pretty geeky but I still forgot about the driver change needed to switch back for firmware updating from using Diving Log 5. Had to come back here to get straightend out and back on line. I think Downing raises a good point that most devices make updating really easy. Many of us don't retain the proper thought processes to correctly trouble shoot when things go south for some reason.

Hello RonR,

I was waiting for a possible future air integrated wrist version, but I caved in and purchased the Cobalt from my authorized local dive shop.  I had my first two dives with the Cobalt this past weekend. I thought I should post my feedback in case Atomic is collecting individual feedback from as many customers as possible:

1. Upgrading the Cobalt's firmware using my Mac was a breeze and I had no issues.  If some folks are stumbling with the unzip step after the download, perhaps the firmware HEX file shouldn't be zipped on the Atomic website.
2. The strap to attach the Cobalt to the BCD should include a fastening clip.
3. The warning alarm on the Cobalt is really low, if not inaudible. This seems dangerous in my opinion.  Did this seriously get a passing grade during rigorous real-world testing? This is a huge issue that should be fixed. Will Atomic be addressing this problem for current owners by whatever means necessary, such as fixing or even swapping out the first generation Cobalts for one without this design issue? Hopefully Atomic will do the right thing.
4. The Cobalt should come with some type of protective sleeve or bag.
5. The Cobalt should come with a better screen protector. Hopefully Atomic will be sending a Zagg protector in the mail to registered owners once they are ready to go.
6. Speaking of registered owners, I registered online.  I didn't receive a confirmation email. It would be good to send customers a "Thanks for purchasing a Cobalt, it has been registered with a 2 year warranty" email.
7. In the Cobalt's dive log when looking at the very LAST dive, it shows the running Surface Time. I would like to also see the time between the last dive and the previous dive.  Perhaps a toggle using one of the buttons to flip between displaying the running Surface Time and the proposed "surface interval between last two dives" when looking at the last log entry.  Is it possible to get this added in a firmware update?
8. I understand that the Cobalt doesn't log the air temperature with each dive.  Is it possible to get this added in a firmware update?
9. Importing my dives into MacDive 2 was a breeze.  Great work by all involved!

Thanks.

-ITGuy

Hello RonR,

I was waiting for a possible future air integrated wrist version, but I caved in and purchased the Cobalt from my authorized local dive shop.  I had my first two dives with the Cobalt this past weekend. I thought I should post my feedback in case Atomic is collecting individual feedback from as many customers as possible:......

We are definitely keeping track of feedback, thanks for yours, good points. re. #3, The alarm/ alerts sound is a difficult issue, one we are still working on. We did in testing determine that it is as loud as some other popular computers, but we would like it to be much louder. Frequency shifting can help, as individuals hear these sounds quite differently, but the basic issue is the mass and thickness of the case. re. # 7, good point, I'm adding this to my list- for earlier dives the surface interval between dives is shown (up to 99 hours), but for the last dive it's currently just the surface time since the dive. re. # 8, logging the temperature before starting a dive would be possible, but my sense is it would be pretty unreliable- if the computer sits in the sun it will heat up quite a lot, if one rests on the surface prior to descent you would end up with the surface water temperature rather than air temperature. We sample and store surface pressure on an ongoing basis, so we have the last ambient pressure reading before a dive saved, it would be possible to keep the last temperature reading as well, I'll look into it.
Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom