Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI -As for the listing for the screen protector, Zagg doesn't have it listed as of 6/6/11 - altho I've had no issues with the Olympus FE340 screen protector that now has 4 dives on it

Has any one had any 'issues' with the Cobalt Dive Log for Windows? Here is what I am discovering so far. On down load from the DC all the dives are down loaded every time, suggest an option to download all or just the new information as this could get time consuming as more dives are logged on the DC. In my situation (don't know if others have experienced this) after downloading, the list of dives has the newest on top, followed by the oldest dive recorded by the DC and there's no way to reorder the list - eg: dive 21, 22, 19,20, 1,2,3, etc. In the Windows version of the Log once you've added something to the list of choices which shows up in the drop down selection boxes, there is no way to edit or delete that entry if you made a spelling error or put the item in the wrong category. Some of the viewing window is 'chopped off' and I can only view the 'add' boxes by reducing the size of the listing portion of the window - there's no way to 'fit to screen'. Then there's the printing problem as previously mentioned.

RonR

New member here on scubaboard, but I've been following the thread for a while.
Recently got back from a trip with my wife on our inaugural trip with our 2 new cobalts.

I wanted to bring up one issue I had, to see if you or your counterparts at atomic felt it might be a computer issue or not. I dont feel it is, for various reasons, but I will let the experts chime in before i go off spouting theories.

On dive number 6 of the trip, near the last 1/3rd of my tank, I noticed extreme pressure fluctuations. Infact i noticed because I actually heard my alarm continually going off. Id see 1100, then 600, then 900, then 0, then 1200. Sometimes it would settle down for more than 10s, but most of the time it would vary quite a bit. I dont think I noticed any substantial increase in breathing resistance....I may have just become more cognizant of my breathing resistance. Its just hard to say.

I completed 3 more dives on this trip without being able to repeat this issue. I've also since tried it on a couple more tanks just to check, and pressure reads as it should before and after a long purge through a reg.

Now, while I only noticed this fluctuation in the last third of my tank thanks to the alarm, its clear that it was happening throughout the entire dive. Dive log data is attached.

So, what do you guys think?
Computer or not computer?
Is this concern for you guys for me to send it in or not?

Secondly, after the new software and everything, I have a few comments.
I figured since you are more tied to the software, and are very responsive, these might fall on the most receptive ears out there. Here they are;

1. I cant enter anything with a ' at the end. Such as 10'. Causes the program to have an error.

2. It would be great if we could set the scales of each item rather than having it auto fit. On occasion a data spike makes it hard to read a line. (ie RMV...see 2nd attachement)

3. In the Gas Table summary, it would be nice if the Start Pressure was included just above the End Pressure.

4. Notes area. Has a very small limit on the amount of text. Can this be increased?

5. Add the ability to average data to create a trend line. Reading a trend in RMV is tricky since it bounces around a lot with the relatively slow sample rate.

6. Might be nice to add the ability to chop the end of dive data. See 2nd attached graph. I think the captain shut off my wife's main valve while she was still breathing on her reg as she was getting back on the boat due to some chop in the water. The captain should have waited till she was on board, but didnt.
Looks like it fooled the computer to thinking she used 950psi in 30s.

Also, I know its easier for me, but if you need me to respond or send in my computer or something, please do also send me a quick email.
My email is my username_on_scubaboard @ gmail dot com

Attachments

• pressure_data.jpg
    pressure_data.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 72
  • data_spike.jpg
    data_spike.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 67
Can anyone help with this??

I had no problem flashing the first update but the second one now will not update, I know where the unzipped file is and I am connected to the computer.

It goes directly from pushing the start button to connection closed. The cobalt does not even blink it is still at the connection page saying it is connected. When I check the version it is still at 1.10/1.

My USB connections applet shows the Atomics-Cobalt is there and it will disconnect/eject it if asked so the usb connection appears to be working.

I can also connect to Diving log 5.0 and upload with no problems.

If I try to upload from the Atomis software I get an exception error. See attached JPG

BTW I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it 2 x's. Still get the same results

Attachments

• ErrorMessage.jpg
    ErrorMessage.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 250
I wanted to bring up one issue I had, to see if you or your counterparts at atomic felt it might be a computer issue or not. I dont feel it is, for various reasons, but I will let the experts chime in before i go off spouting theories.

On dive number 6 of the trip, near the last 1/3rd of my tank, I noticed extreme pressure fluctuations. Infact i noticed because I actually heard my alarm continually going off. Id see 1100, then 600, then 900, then 0, then 1200. Sometimes it would settle down for more than 10s, but most of the time it would vary quite a bit. I dont think I noticed any substantial increase in breathing resistance....I may have just become more cognizant of my breathing resistance. Its just hard to say.

I completed 3 more dives on this trip without being able to repeat this issue. I've also since tried it on a couple more tanks just to check, and pressure reads as it should before and after a long purge through a reg.

Now, while I only noticed this fluctuation in the last third of my tank thanks to the alarm, its clear that it was happening throughout the entire dive. Dive log data is attached.

So, what do you guys think?
Computer or not computer?
Is this concern for you guys for me to send it in or not?
I don't think it's a problem with the Cobalt, particularly if it has continued to read pressure consistently on other dives. What I suspect is a tank valve that was partially blocked or not fully open, allowing the HP to fluctuate to the 1st stage of the regulator. This would become more extreme as the pressure was less in the tank. The exact moment a sample was taken in relation to a breath cycle could create fluctuations like this. With a decent regulator you probably wouldn't notice any difference in breathing effort. Firmware versions 1.1 and later, now on the Atomic website, sample the HP more frequently and would probably show the fluctuations more clearly. This is not a diagnosis (I could be missing something), but I think is the most likely explanation.

Secondly, after the new software and everything, I have a few comments.
I figured since you are more tied to the software, and are very responsive, these might fall on the most receptive ears out there. Here they are;

1. I cant enter anything with a ' at the end. Such as 10'. Causes the program to have an error.

2. It would be great if we could set the scales of each item rather than having it auto fit. On occasion a data spike makes it hard to read a line. (ie RMV...see 2nd attachement)

3. In the Gas Table summary, it would be nice if the Start Pressure was included just above the End Pressure.

4. Notes area. Has a very small limit on the amount of text. Can this be increased?

5. Add the ability to average data to create a trend line. Reading a trend in RMV is tricky since it bounces around a lot with the relatively slow sample rate.

6. Might be nice to add the ability to chop the end of dive data. See 2nd attached graph. I think the captain shut off my wife's main valve while she was still breathing on her reg as she was getting back on the boat due to some chop in the water. The captain should have waited till she was on board, but didnt.
Looks like it fooled the computer to thinking she used 950psi in 30s.

Also, I know its easier for me, but if you need me to respond or send in my computer or something, please do also send me a quick email.
My email is my username_on_scubaboard @ gmail dot com

I'll pass along the comments on the desktop software. Point #6 is interesting- in the Cobalt's internal log, does it show this? I suspect not. By default we do not display the last two minutes of recorded dive data if the depth is less than 2'. We have to keep recording and storing data for two minutes, because if you go back down it is technically (as far as the algorithm is concerned) a continuation of the same dive. The desktop software is displaying this part of the dive, and it probably should not. This came up earlier when someone observed that if you ascend right under the boat, get out, and turn off your air quickly, you could get a low air alarm on the surface- the dive continues for two minutes.
Ron

Can anyone help with this??

I had no problem flashing the first update but the second one now will not update, I know where the unzipped file is and I am connected to the computer.

It goes directly from pushing the start button to connection closed. The cobalt does not even blink it is still at the connection page saying it is connected. When I check the version it is still at 1.10/1.

My USB connections applet shows the Atomics-Cobalt is there and it will disconnect/eject it if asked so the usb connection appears to be working.

I can also connect to Diving log 5.0 and upload with no problems.

If I try to upload from the Atomis software I get an exception error. See attached JPG

BTW I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it 2 x's. Still get the same results
This sounds like a driver issue. Diving Log uses a different driver, and you need to change to go back to the firmware updater.

:blush::blush:
@bthinnes: I don't know if this error is related to this, but make sure to switch the driver back to the original Atomic driver, when using the Atomic software (libdivecomputer in Diving Log is using a different driver).

This sounds like a driver issue. Diving Log uses a different driver, and you need to change to go back to the firmware updater.

Silly me!!!:blush: I forgot about that little detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom