Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, Im so new to this Cobalt, and i want to enjoy every bit of it. so i want to download the newest ver of code. looks like it is 1.13 on the website. and they pulled 1.17 ( i guess dow not work with log download..etc). So does anyone know where I can get the code to download it? when i goto the site, it lets me highlight the link, but i can't download it. Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software is there a FTP site I can get it from? does anyone have a copy of it? i would like to get 1.17 and 1.13 to see which one that i really want to use. thanks

The 1.13 update is only a maintenance update to provide hardware compatibility with recently shipped units. Users with 1.12 installed do not need to install this version.

If you have v1.12, just make sure your date/time are set right after the leap year thing, and then go dive. The downloader/Winblows divelog software has been the one consistently terrible part of the Cobalt experience, so why bother? 1.1.3/1.17 add no user functionality, period.

OK, Im so new to this Cobalt, and i want to enjoy every bit of it. so i want to download the newest ver of code. looks like it is 1.13 on the website. and they pulled 1.17 ( i guess dow not work with log download..etc). So does anyone know where I can get the code to download it? when i goto the site, it lets me highlight the link, but i can't download it. Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software is there a FTP site I can get it from? does anyone have a copy of it? i would like to get 1.17 and 1.13 to see which one that i really want to use. thanks

There is almost no difference between 1.13 and 1.17, apart from a slight change to scaling in the dive log profile screen, and a fix to a leap year display error. But 1.17 was not compatible with some Windows systems in downloading dive log data. For those who have 1.17 installed, and it's working with downloads, there is no reason to change. If you have 1.13, there is no reason to worry about not having 1.17- until the next leap year, anyway:D.

You don't say if you are using Mac or Windows software to update- the procedure is a bit different since for Mac you download the firmware file manually, the Windows SW will fetch the latest version by itself. But if you have 1.13, you are in all important respects current with firmware updates.

Ron

Thanks RonR for the FAST reply. Looks like i did not RTFM. You have to register on the site before it give you the link to download it. i now have Cobalt_113_EndUser.hex) 1.13 ( . and I'm using a MAC 10.7.4. i upgrading now. if it does not work i will switch to a windoze :O) Computer. so, your saying i don't need to hunt/find ver 1.17? ( i just like being on the latest). is there anyway i can get 1.17?

Thanks RonR for the FAST reply. Looks like i did not RTFM. You have to register on the site before it give you the link to download it. i now have Cobalt_113_EndUser.hex) 1.13 ( . and I'm using a MAC 10.7.4. i upgrading now. if it does not work i will switch to a windoze :O) Computer. so, your saying i don't need to hunt/find ver 1.17? ( i just like being on the latest). is there anyway i can get 1.17?
Mac 10.7, while fine for dive logging, has caused problems when attempting to update firmware, resulting in "bricked" Cobalts- that's why there is the warning on the website. These can require a battery reset to bring back up. So I would not use it until we release a new Mac update program- which is in the works.

Ron

I just purchased a Cobalt being a huge fan of Atomic and will dive with it for a week in the Caribbean next week. The display and interface is absolutely amazing (coming from an Oceanic Atom 2.0). One of the reasons I decided to go with this platform is the strong support Ron has given on this forum and my past experience with Atomic. I am all Mac at home and just tried to sync with Macdive2 and it downloaded the 1 test dive effortlessly. I will report back after a week in the water.

Hi Ron,
I just bought my Cobalt around two weeks ago. In total this is a great device but I have some trouble with the down button. Compared to the up button, I need to push with the double pressure as well as twice as deep which is difficult with gloves. All other buttons are very easy to push, independent of the angle. I returned this directly to Atomics (Germany) but got the Cobalt ‘unrepaired’ back with the comment ‘it is in tolerance’ which was very disappointing. Fact is that I really had to push the down button twice as hard as the others.
I realized Atomics had a problem at one of the first series which should be improved now. However, looks like my device is mfg some around March 2012 (FW 1.13/test log). Is there any way to adjust the button (maybe by myself because Atomics GY can’t/don’t want to help)?

Thanks for your help,
Ralph

Hi Ron,
I just bought my Cobalt around two weeks ago. In total this is a great device but I have some trouble with the down button. Compared to the up button, I need to push with the double pressure as well as twice as deep which is difficult with gloves. All other buttons are very easy to push, independent of the angle..... Is there any way to adjust the button (maybe by myself because Atomics GY can’t/don’t want to help)?

Thanks for your help,
Ralph

Ralph,
It's really the magnet strength that governs the sensitivity of the buttons, that can be adjusted only by changing the keypad, but I don't know if yours is "out of spec" or not. The down (and sometimes the UP) button is a little harder for some people to push, probably because of the shape of the keypad surround and the position of the button, but it shouldn't be noticeably difficult. Yours is fairly recently manufactured and also quite new, so I don't think it would be a problem with corrosion or a misplaced switch. I am sending you via PM some instructions on removing the top cover so you can check and see if the keypad is misaligned or has problem underneath. When you do this you can check how far the button must be pushed to register a "hit". Otherwise It's pretty much up to the German distributor to take care of it for you- if I were closer, I'd be happy to check it out. Perhaps realigning the cover will help. I hope so.

Ron

We have 3 cobalts. My wife's had the bottom button die and I sent it down to Atomic and 2 weeks later she got a brand new unit! However she only used her's maybe twice so that's not great but knowing the service behind the product we are very happy with our units.

Ron... With the software not supporting MAC Lion.... has there been any preliminary testing with Mountain Lion? I am looking to update since it was just released, but don't want to unless it is going to be supported. But then again, if we had this conversation previously, I would have never been able to update to Lion. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom