Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a Cobalt 1. This morning the dive had stopped at 601 minutes. I will give them a call on Monday morning though. I would hate to have a repeat of the problem while in Cozumel. I just got the Cobalt back from Atomic a month ago, they had to re-calibrate the compass.

Sorry, I assumed you had a new one. There is a max time for a dive, eventually it will time out. But if the depth sensor is not reading correctly that's a definite problem that needs to be addressed by Atomic- the depth sensor is an integrated part that is calibrated in manufacturing, before it is ever installed on the Cobalt. We can look at the internal memory and see what it read for surface pressure at the beginning and end of the dive, ant that will tell us where it went wrong. Was this a recent purchase, still in warranty?

Ron

I purchased it in June of 2012, I was hoping that they would be able to take care of it as well as they did my compass problem. Their customer service has always been great. It is getting quite concerning with all the problems I am having with a top of the line computer that is less than 2 years old though. I have always gave high recommendations of the Cobalt and other Atomic products to my students.

I purchased it in June of 2012, I was hoping that they would be able to take care of it as well as they did my compass problem. Their customer service has always been great. It is getting quite concerning with all the problems I am having with a top of the line computer that is less than 2 years old though. I have always gave high recommendations of the Cobalt and other Atomic products to my students.

The compass in the Cobalt 1 was sometimes a problem- it was really the best chip available that would handle a 360° compensation at the time the Cobalt 1 was designed, but some of these turned out to have problems holding the baseline calibration done at the factory. My guess is that's what you had redone. It's possible to do it yourself- at one point in the pre production design we had that "six point" procedure in the user menu. But according to the compass manufacturer it was only supposed to need to be done once, in assembly, so that procedure didn't make it into the final release. We know strong magnetic exposure could knock them off, but that did not explain all the instances.

The Cobalt 2 has a new, completely integrated compass chip that is very accurate and simple to calibrate. It's also a lot faster in the display, and will basically keep up with as fast as you can move it. The last several years have seen a huge improvement in these micro-mechanical parts.

I'd appreciate it if you could PM me with your serial number (and your RMA# when you get one), and I will follow up with Atomic and convey what you have said here. Any time we have something like a depth sensor fail we want to know as much about it as possible. We would really like to know, for instance, if it was registering a too-low atmospheric pressure before your dive, or if it started registering too deep during the dive. We can tell this by looking at the detailed memory contents.

Fortunately there should be plenty of time for Atomic to take care of this before your trip.

Ron

Thanks Ron for helping out! Soonerwink....If you need any further assistance feel free to contact Adan here at Atomic. His direct line is 714-656-2829.

Ron ... thanks for your help. I had a dive sensor fail tonight. My Cobalt II (serial number 0814-0085 version 2.14/2) thinks I've been at 1.9m for the past +200 minutes. You mentioned it would time out at some point? What do you want me to do? Return it to Atomic or my local shop where I bought it (and the Cobalt I before that)?

Ron ... thanks for your help. I had a dive sensor fail tonight. My Cobalt II (serial number 0814-0085 version 2.14/2) thinks I've been at 1.9m for the past +200 minutes. You mentioned it would time out at some point? What do you want me to do? Return it to Atomic or my local shop where I bought it (and the Cobalt I before that)?
That sounds like the depth sensor has failed. It's up to you whether you go though your dealer or contact Atomic directly, but the Cobalt will almost certainly need to be replaced. You might try emailing Adan at Atomic: Adan Campos adan DOT campos@huishoutdoors DOT com He handles repairs/ returns and might be able to just authorize a swap if your dealer has new production. I can assure you that the sensors with this issue are not in the new production, it isn't a recurring problem.

Ron

My wife's finally exploded today. Not sure what to say about this. It was rather dramatic. Too bad I just bought a new charger adapter for it too! She really liked this computer. Hope things go well for us with support..
cobalt.jpg

My wife's finally exploded today. Not sure what to say about this. It was rather dramatic. Too bad I just bought a new charger adapter for it too! She really liked this computer. Hope things go well for us with support..
That's a painful picture. This is what the recall was about-HP air leaking past a seal into the main body. Since the recall they have all been potted to prevent this from being possible. I think you will find Atomic's support to be excellent.

Ron

View attachment 189843

I recently had to rma my wife's cobalt (died in bonaire in March.)

They shipped us a shiny new cobalt 2 back!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not sure how to get on here and ask a question to RonR, but I will just post to this reply. Ron, I have a used Atomic Cobalt1 Dive Computer and was wondering how to delete the dives that someone else had put on the computer? I think you posted to someone earlier in this long thread. Can you help? Thanks, Bill

Back
Top Bottom