Atom 2.0 Oceanic Download Missing Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanDives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have 28 previous dives in OceanLog 2.2.4 log downloaded from my Atom 2.0 prior to most recent trip.

Recently completed an 11 dive trip -- in attempting to download those dives, only the last 6 dives are downloaded. I can scroll thru the Atom's Log of 24 most recent dives -- but only the last 6 download.

Two "catches" -- in trying to SAVE the 6 dives (the show up and I can Select them), they are not appended to the prior 28. Nada. Reboot / retry ~4-6x. I finally created a new log with the 6 dives saved properly and was able to import that log into my main log to get 34 dives.

The ONLY thing I can relate to the last six dives is about that time I changed my sample rate from 15s to 2s (those 6 new are at 2s sample).

All dives are NoDeco / No violation / uneventful average ~40 min each.

I find no similar issue posted.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
I had a similar problem not too long ago trying to download data from my Atom 2. I rebooted Windows and was able to get it to download. You might try that to see if it will work. Good luck!

Gil

yeah - saw your post and it lead me to try that (already). As well as "repair" of the install. OceanLog will still not see dives 1-5 of the most recent trip. Nor did it see any of the earlier ones when I created the new Log Book.

Thanks for the reply

That sounds like the polling rate was pushed up. What happens with faster polling rates is the memory runs out and the earlier dives get erased. Check what the rate was set to for the last group of dives.

The ONLY thing I can relate to the last six dives is about that time I changed my sample rate from 15s to 2s (those 6 new are at 2s sample).

2 second sampling rate for the final (only) 6 that are seen by OceanLog. 24 still can be seen (summary) scrolling thru Atom. I had never used the 2 second sampling before. I am surprised if that setting results in only 6 dives worth of memory -- not seen that limitation. But, I agree that is what it seems like.

the 2 second sampling rate uses 7.5 times the memory of the 15 second rate so if you see 6 dives I'd expect 35-40 dives at 15 second sampling. I use the 15 second rate myself and have never had that problem.
FYI setting the computer to the slower rate is only for the data it saves for logging. The computer still runs at the same internal rate for it's computation.
In other words the computer dive performance is the same just the logging changes.
If you want to continue using the higher rate you'll need to download your data more often to avoid losing data.

I would suggest the other anomaly may be a OceanLog bug to evaluate. The fact that these 6 dives would not save into my main log (had to create new log / save / import to main log) -- seems to be an issue. If sample-rate changes are made, is there some flaw in not allowing a save to a log that used a different sample rate?

Not sure if this suggestion belongs in a different thread.

That is a good point. You are correct the dives that are still in memory should still download into the original log.

As noted above, Oceanic computers can only hold so much data. My Atom 2.0 will retain basic information on 24 dives, as noted in the user's guide, but writes over the detailed information when the sampling rate is too frequent. I have had the same "problem" with a VT Pro and VT 3. Even at a 15 second interval, I was not able to retrieve 11 of 24 dives from a VT 3 and VT Pro due to long dive durations in warm tropical water (all well over one hour). So, I either download dive information on a daily basis or decrease the sample frequency to 30 seconds.

From Oceanic:

Sampling Rate | 256K Memory | 512K Memory | 1M Memory
60 seconds | 50-60 Hours | 100-110 Hours | 200-210 Hours
30 seconds | 25-30 Hours | 50-55 Hours | 100-110 Hours
15 seconds | 12-15 Hours | 25-30 Hours | 50-60 Hours
2 seconds | 1.5-2 Hours | 4-5 Hours | 8-10 Hours
1 second (Free Dive Mode only) N/a | 1.5-2 Hours

So, at a 2s interval you are lucky to have logged six dives (Atom 2.0 at 512k = 4-5 hours).

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/pdf/2009_catalogOCE.pdf

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom