Atom 2.0 eats batteries after 2 years of service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Atom 2.0 is about two years old and has been flawless until recently - it started to go through batteries in less than a few months. I've had a new battery/o-ring put in by an Oceanic shop in May and the computer was dead by August (always showed 'Good' battery charge until the display just went blank). I different shop put a new battery/o-ring a month ago, I've done maybe 10 dives with the computer and now the screen is blank and the computer keeps on beeping - I am assuming the battery is dead again. Anyone with a similar experience? Do I have a malfunction? Thanks!

I had problems w/ my Atom 2.0 when I first got it..Flooded the first time after 6 months [read similar complaints on SB].....Then after getting it back from the factory it did what you've experienced a few months later [was getting concerned about Oceanic's quality control]..Sent it in again and they sent me another [I think refurbished updated one]...Haven't had any problems since for about 3 years now and I use it for deep/caves and cold water regularly....There was never a problem w/customer service or honoring the warranty....Just think the Atom 2.0 had some design flaws that allowed moisture in and they corrected it over time....I'm thinking of getting either a VT3 or VT4.... I also have Sunnto Vytec DS and D9, which have never given me a problem but are so fussy trying to link initially and loose the transmitter link off and on regularly when diving...It's become so annoying I only use the Vytec DS as a bottom/deco timer w/o the transmitter [and a DSS wrist bungee because the band was useless] and the D9 only in shallow open water w/the transmitter [and can't wait until tibby-adapters.com comes out w/their after market straps for it]....The band on the D9 is usless too...So I'd rather take a chance on another Oceanic product/model [that seems to have good reviews]....Got off the main topic but hope this helps......

I'd recommend testing the battery prior to installation. Before saying that the computer "eats" batteries, you need to be sure that the battery is "full" to start with.

I'd recommend testing the battery prior to installation. Before saying that the computer "eats" batteries, you need to be sure that the battery is "full" to start with.

I agree...still, the last time the shop opened a brand new Oceanic battery replacement set ($19.99 or so with Oceanic supplied battery/o-ring/grease) and used it. Now, 3+ weeks later Atom's screen is blank and it keeps on beeping...unless it means that the battery is good but the moisture got in...

I agree...still, the last time the shop opened a brand new Oceanic battery replacement set ($19.99 or so with Oceanic supplied battery/o-ring/grease) and used it. Now, 3+ weeks later Atom's screen is blank and it keeps on beeping...unless it means that the battery is good but the moisture got in...
It is certainly possible that your dive computer has some sort of defect. I know that the Oceanic Geo (version 1.0) had numerous reports of battery issues following the first battery change.

FYI, just because the battery comes out of a "new" manufacturer's battery change kit doesn't necessarily mean that the battery is "full." Test it prior to installation. I always do this prior to battery changes on my dive computers. It helps minimize the chance that a bad battery is to blame should your computer start acting wonky.

I know that the Oceanic Geo (version 1.0) had numerous reports of battery issues following the first battery change.

I had one of these Geos...suffice to say after 5 exchanges and multiple failures with each computer I managed to return it back to the dealer and that's was it.

Test it prior to installation. I always do this prior to battery changes on my dive computers.
I will get a DMM and check the battery voltage before putting a new battery in. I suppose its also important to note that computer worked perfectly prior to last two battery changes.

I will get a DMM and check the battery voltage before putting a new battery in. I suppose its also important to note that computer worked perfectly prior to last two battery changes.
After ruling out whether the battery is just low on voltage, you'd have a very good case to contact Oceanic Customer Service regarding warranty options.

Thanks for sharing your less-than-stellar experience (5 exchanges) with the Oceanic Geo. ScubaBoard is a great place to compare notes with other divers to see what gear works and which manufacturers stand by their products. On the plus side, Oceanic did exchange your Geo on multiple occasions. I do understand that all models of computers will have a certain number of failures, but there's something really wrong with one customer experiencing 5 failures in a row. To me, that's more than just a statistical oddity -- it's a glaring quality control problem, a flawed design, or both. You exhibited a great deal of generosity in purchasing one of Oceanic's higher end dive computer offerings after the Geo experience. I'm not sure I would have extended that level of munificence.

Best of luck in troubleshooting your computer issue...

I will contact them once I pull the battery I have in (the computer just keeps on beeping - screen is still blank).

To clarify - I did not go through Oceanic CS for Geo exchanges, I dealt with LP customer service. I am pretty certain that entire batch of this generation of 'colored' Geos (at least the ones LP had at the time) seemed to have some serious issues with depth/pressure sensors. And I was lucky they accepted the last one after it also failed after only a couple of dives on a diving vacation...

Back
Top Bottom