Atom 1, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C0N3RY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I found the complete setup with transmitter and all on the internet for a little over 500. I've read that they have their fare share of problems but for the price it looks like it'd be hard to go wrong. I was just wondering if they're worth it or should I spend my money on a different comp?

The very first had some problems. Is it new or used? I have a later Atom1.0 and the Atom2.0. I find both of them to work great and wouldnt trade them for anything. Do you have anymore info about it?

Definately new. Also appears you get a warranty. Another thing I thought of after my first post. You are correct about the air pressure on the main screen. It was a great fix from the Atom 1.0 to the 2.0.

Its a great computer this I can assure you of at a price you probably wont see again.

Go for it!

For a little more cash, you can get the VT3. I just got one but haven't gotten it wet yet.

The VT3 is good too. Pretty much has the same features as the atom but isnt laid out the same way. The screen is bigger too. I prefer the Atom because it is smaller. You can slap it on before you go on vacation and leave it on the entire time.

Im a Wreck diver from Jersey and do a lot of lobster hunting and the Atom fits into the holes when its time to pull out a bug.

Either computer is a great choice.

Just noticed you are also looking for a new Reg. Word of warning and I am not sure you should even be concerned but I dive with Poseidon regs and did have a problem mounting the transmitter because of the spacing of ports on my first stage. Had to mount my transmitter to a six inch high pressure hose as a remedy.

All my buddies dive with Oceanic regulators and this was not an issue for them. Just a thought and like I said may not even be an issue.

Yes, I am also looking for a reg. So far I'm deciding between buying a delta 4 now or a getting cheaper reg and waiting to get a high end one. On leisure pro there is a delta 4 demo reg for like 350 and it seems like a good deal to me.

Another good deal. In fact NOAA just found it to be the most reliable cold water reg on the market. I believe there is a recent thread floating around here with some more info about the topic.

I have the Delta 4 and both the Atom 1 and 2 and love them. Wife has the Delta 4 and VT3 and loves hers. I have used hers a few times to see if I'd like the bigger digits but didn't like it nearly as much as the normal watch size of the Atom. Switching screens for PSI is really no big deal and becomes second nature. However. after using the Atom 1 for a while you will rarely look at the PSI. Do you really need to often? The Atom 1 main screen displays Air Time Remaining or NDC time remainig whichever is less and the ATR is based on usage calculations. So while I may look at 1000 PSI and say I have tons of air left, the watch may calculate that since I'm working my butt off in a current that I really only have "X" minutes of air left. The ONLY reason I bought the Atom 2 is so I can use the same installation of Oceanlog 2.x software for both mine and my wife's rather than 1.x for the Atom 1 and 2.x for the VT3 and Atom 2.

As for regs... I made the wasteful mistake of buying a cheaper reg for myself originally rather than what I really wanted. Thankfully I bought the GT3 which is a really nice reg. However when I bought my wife's equipment and got her the Delta 4, and she kept saying how much she loved it, I had to try it one day. Big mistake. Thankfully I have a diving son who now loves his hand-me-down GT3 after I quickly upgraded to the Delta 4. Buying the reg you really want in the first place is a lot cheaper than buying a "cheaper" one and then replacing it later.

Good luck with your decisions.

Back
Top Bottom