Atmos First battery change questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI all,

We have 2 Atmos 2's that have been on 4 week long trips ~20 dives each. On orginal batteries.

Manual indicates we shoudl change them - yes?

I am fairly good with tools and have never flooded my underwater camera - so I know good o-ring pratices.

Is it really that easy as just unscrewing the cover, replacing the ring, lube it up and swap the battery?

Would you even consider paying someone to do it?

We have a trip in 2 months - should we pressure test this on a dive before the trip?

I am little paniced about this becasue of how much we need the computers to work (obvious).

Thanks

Hi. I suggest to all of my clients & dive friends to change batteries EVERYTIME they are going on a trip. Or, when the computer has not been used in awhile. This helps avoid possible battery failures though not always.

Use good batteries...Energizer or Duracell...do not use Radio Shack RENATA or cheap bats.

These new computers are designed for you the owner/consumer to be able to replace your batteries in a timely & cost effective manner.

Now with that being said, would I pay someone to replace my batteries...answer is YES if:
I am not familiar with protocol.
Do not understand what to look for on the O ring as far as debris or damage.
Do not understand that LUBE is less not more! And, that Christo Lube should be used. Yes, silicone food grade dive application is okay. VASELINE IS NOT A LUBE nor is KY JELLY. And, truly, plumbers thread pipe dope is not a good idea.
If a special tool is required...USE IT. If a quarter is required...USE IT And, do not over tighten but, seat it!
If you cannot read the numbers on the battery(s) to replace with the correct one.
And, especially if the item is still under warranty.

Otherwise, if you are mechanical and take your time....change your own batteries.

We very seldom if ever charge for batterie changes...only the cost of the actual replacement kit...which is O ring...lube and battery(s).

Some are very easy to change. Others are a pain in the butt sometimes.

If you are in doubt, send them to us and we will change them for you.

24 years in business!

Dive Shack USA, 1086 Hwy 95, Bullhead City, Arizona - Serving the Tri-State area for over 20 years > Home

HI all,

We have 2 Atmos 2's that have been on 4 week long trips ~20 dives each. On orginal batteries.

Manual indicates we shoudl change them - yes?

I am fairly good with tools and have never flooded my underwater camera - so I know good o-ring pratices.

Is it really that easy as just unscrewing the cover, replacing the ring, lube it up and swap the battery?

Would you even consider paying someone to do it?

We have a trip in 2 months - should we pressure test this on a dive before the trip?

I am little paniced about this becasue of how much we need the computers to work (obvious).

Thanks

thank for this post. I also called Aeris and they said it was as easy as it sounded and that the battery compartment was sealed from the computer - so even if it floods the computer is still good, just dry and replace.

And the only data that can be lost by changing it slow is the residual nitrogen times and the like - no dives done for weeks and none planed for a couple months - so I can take my time.

I just bought new battery kits from Scubatoys and will be swapping them out soon as they arrive. We should have been doing this all along - changing them each trip/year. These being 2 years old and doing as many dives as we have in a week...well should have been changed.

Feeling much better about the whole thing!

thanks again!

You are quite welcome. As an AERIS dealer I am very impressed with their customer service & products.
If I may ever be of service please let me know.
We do not compete with cheap...we make quality affordable.
Find your best quote then dare to compare ours.
Dive Shack USA, 1086 Hwy 95, Bullhead City, Arizona - Serving the Tri-State area for over 20 years > Home

thank for this post. I also called Aeris and they said it was as easy as it sounded and that the battery compartment was sealed from the computer - so even if it floods the computer is still good, just dry and replace.

And the only data that can be lost by changing it slow is the residual nitrogen times and the like - no dives done for weeks and none planed for a couple months - so I can take my time.

I just bought new battery kits from Scubatoys and will be swapping them out soon as they arrive. We should have been doing this all along - changing them each trip/year. These being 2 years old and doing as many dives as we have in a week...well should have been changed.

Feeling much better about the whole thing!

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom