Atlantis Dumaguete Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

osufhorn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, just wanted to pass along my experience on my latest dive trip. I was at Atlantis Dumaguete June 2nd-9th. This was my first trip to the Philippines and first diving in the Pacific. I flew in Cleveland to LA on Continental and the LA to Taipei to Manila on EVA Air in their premium economy, which was a great investment in comfort for those of us large or tall divers. I spent a couple of days sightseeing in Manila and then flew on to Dumaguete on Philippine Air in economy. I don't know if it was just me, but their economy was much more comfortable than any I've been on in the US. I was greeted in Dumaguete by someone from Atlantis and shown into the waiting Atlantis jeepney while they picked up my luggage. After a 30min ride down the coast, we turned off the main road into Atlantis. All the reports I've read were right in that you turn off onto a dirt driveway and drive what looks like it is through a few people's yards and get out at Atlantis all the while wondering where the resort is. Suddenly you walk around the corner of a building and are transported into a tropical oasis that you can't see and didn't think was there. After getting checked in I had a chance to relax for the evening before starting diving. My room was right in the middle of the resort and was everything I'd expect from a tropical dive resort. The furnishings and decor were simple, but elegant in a tropical sort of way. The room had a great wooden balcony under the thatched roof. The only knock was that the tap water wasn't drinkable, but they had bottled water in the minibar or you could fill your own bottle at the restaurant which was only a short walk. The diving was absolutely fabulous. The divemasters and boat crew had everything set up and ready to go for you so you never had to touch your gear. Every dive started with a briefing at the dive center and then the quick walk down to the boat and off you went. Most dive sites were within a 5 minute boat ride from the resort. They had pretty much something for everyone with lots of nice healthy hard and soft coral sites to choose from. They also have some outstanding muck diving at several sites. My favorite was the Dumaguete Coconut Mill Pier where we found 3 large frogfish sitting on top of each other. We also took 2 day trips to Apo Island which has beautiful reefs and wall diving as well as a large school of amber jacks. What more can I say, the diving was fabulous and more importantly the people there truly cared about making this your best vacation ever. I'm missing it already and would go back to Atlantis Dumaguete in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the trip report. Atlantis Dumaguete is also one of my favorite places. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Another WASP that loves the PI!! I LOVE IT!!!

I'm missing it already and would go back to Atlantis Dumaguete in a heartbeat.

I would certainly second that. I was there last year, and they are a great set up. Highly professional and well run, and attentive to details.

I should mention the food (and hope its still the same). As its quite far from everything, staying there (for us) was full board, and the food was really outstanding. I am quite fussy about food, but everything there was good restaurant quality with a good choice to pick from (normally a couple of options for starter, main and sweet). Still remember the awesome dorado on watsabi mashed potatoes........

Oh yeah, everything else was so good, I almost forgot about the food. Great quality and cooked to order. The fresh dorado was available every night prepared a different way, plus a western dish and a Filipino dish. Service was spectacular and you got to eat basically right on the beach.

Hmmm..so who wants to do Duma in October?

Hmmm..so who wants to do Duma in October?

I will be there Oct 13 to 17.

Staying at Pura Vida Beach Resort.

I will be there Oct 13 to 17.

Staying at Pura Vida Beach Resort.

I arrive in Manila on the 22nd...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom