Atlantis Azores Captain’s Report April 22 – 29, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Atlantis Azores Captain’s Report April 22 – 29, 2014
Tubbataha Itinerary

Weather: Beautiful
Seas: Kindly
Water: 80F / 28C
Air: 80F / 28C - about the same as the water
Log Entry by Capt’ Todd

Once again, we have a full boat this week and the season is on! Along with returning diver Woody from last week, we have German nationals - Ulrich, Markus, Silke, Oliver, Sarah, Rachel, Bettina, Stefan, Yvonne, Uwe, Stephan and Simone. Funny thing is, they are several separate groups and are all going to become new friends on this trip - add Patricia and Robert from Switzerland and you have a “Spass Reise!” We gathered everyone up at the pier Saturday and then we were off by mid evening for a ten-hour crossing to “The Atolls”.​
Group 422.jpg
Sunday we pulled in at Malayan Wreck in time for a general dive briefing given by Dan Dan and then we were all in the water by 9:30am. Calm conditions, at this normally choppy site, allowed us to stay here all day and then through the night. We enjoyed nice wall dives with a slight current that buffered everyone along without moving a muscle, and the great viz revealed the “wreck”.

Monday dawned and we tied up at Black Rock. Today we found lots of African pompano. They weren’t in their usual feeding frenzy mode, but they were kind of curious and showed themselves a little more than usual. The triggerfish today were very aggressive (they’re nesting) and we were careful to give them a wide margin. Patricia, who is also a veteran instructor, commented on past “accidents” involving charging triggers and we all took heed. We planned head south at lunch, but instead decided to take evasive action (as we learned there were a few too many boats down there today) and headed to the south end of North Atoll where we had a little more privacy. We opted for an afternoon and evening dive at Amos Rock.

Tuesday began with three dives before lunch followed with a visit to the Ranger Station where the tiny juvenile black tip reef sharks were racing about in knee deep water; always a crowd pleaser! No one was up for the night dive, so we made a quick dash for the north end to Shark Airport before dark.

Wednesday the seas had laid down quite nicely, as we had pulled in to our spot the night before to choppy conditions. A strong current made for some exhilarating air-consuming moments for the guests, but they were okay with it as there’s more activity when there’s water movement! First dive at Shark Airport was a hit, but the second dive…well…can you say WHALE SHARK! That’s right, our first “confirmed” sighting this season. It was a 25-footer that Woody spotted at about 90’ and alerted everyone -nice job Woody - and we got some solid documentation! (Photos) Now everyone wants to see a Manta Ray!...we’re setting the bar awfully high for ourselves, we’ll see! :wink:
4-25 006.jpg
Thursday we got up real early and made the 18-mile run to the south end of the Atolls and arrived by daybreak. I forgot to charge up my Go Pro before our first dive at my favorite spot, Delsan Wreck, so naturally we saw ANOTHER WHALE SHARK! This one hung around for a while and took in the limelight, allowing everyone (except me) to get plenty of shots. At the end of the dive the resident schooling jacks were remarkably calm and stayed with us around up in the shallows making for a great safety stop. A normally desirable current was absent and perhaps that’s why these critters were so lethargic! H’mmm. Before the second dive, Bettina commented on her disappointment at not seeing a Manta Ray on this trip… travelled all the way here from Germany to see a Manta Ray. So I said to myself “Lord give me a Manta Ray!” and you know what? He did! First one that I’ve heard of this season was spotted BY BETTINA on the very next dive… how about that!​
4-25 009.jpg
Friday the Azores pulled up to Jesse Beazley Atoll on the high tide and with glassy smooth conditions and the flat dawn light, you couldn’t even see it! Scary scenario. I wonder how many ships have plowed into this spot over the centuries? Once again, everyone was wowed by the impressive walls here and we even managed to get a glimpse of a Hammerhead Shark on the last dive, making this by far the most “large species-filled” trip this season. Thank you to Woody for the great shots this week for our log.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom