Atlantic Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to correct myself, I am/was wrong.

Reefraff is right, introduced species are a threat to the indigenous species. I've seen it happen with the introduction of freshwater aquarium species such as Cichlids and some catfish into our local lakes. In some cases, the bass and perch species are almost gone.

I was thinking along the lines of the dangers of the Lionfish to divers, not the natural environment and that's wrong. It's such a treat to see a species of fish that most of us will never see in it's natural location. And it's hard to think of killing them just because they are in the wrong place. BUT it's only solution to keep them from decimating populations of natural species. I've had Lionfish in my aquarium for years and I have seen first hand how very aggressive they can be when competing for food.

The ocean seems like a big place to us but in reality it's a very small and delicately balanced environment.

Thanks Herman for the link.

I understand that non-native species should not be released where they don't belong (eg Zebra muscles in the Great Lake system), and I understand that Lionfish are not native to Atlantic.

But a speargun? It seems a bit on the "overkill" side, I guess there is no other way --- or is there?

If memory serves, doesn't PADI have an aquarium collection specialty or something like that. Why kill 'em. Put them in your mesh bag and sell them at inflated prices to a local aquarium shop. You benefit and the environment benefits.

brandon

Non-native species does not mean they will be an environmental problem - though they may. I think I would let the bioligists assess the impact before I'd go hunting - not that hunting will do much good. Remember, many species we currently enjoy are non-native: brown & rainbow trout and pheasants for example. Come to think of it, many of us might fall in the category of 'non-native'.

Hi ALL,

I have seen them as recently as one week ago. There are at least FIVE different one on the wreck of the NEACO 40 miles off of Morehead City. We have still picts. digital picts and some U/W video. I swan about two feet from one. They are really bad about swin just underneath ledges and along side the ship walls. A very Beautiful creature. We were warned and shown photos of them prior to leaving the docks on the DIVER DOWN charter boat out of Morehead. I'll try to get my hands on some picts for ya'll. Also, keep a look out on Channel 3 news out of norfolk area. One of their videographers has the shot on video.

Later.......stay wet

RC

I figure the local fish/pet shop wanted you to whack 'em for monetary reasons. Corner the market, if you will.

Still weighing all the evidence before I kill something I ain't gonna eat.Very strict upbringing on killing animals only for food or to prevent disease etc...

Still weighing all the evidence before I kill something I ain't gonna eat. Very strict upbringing on killing animals only for food or to prevent disease etc...

Not a bad policy, at all, as a general rule.

I have to admit - I kinda like the idea of snagging a few with a slurp gun and selling them to the aquarium shops. With the prices charged here in Chicago for the critters, the revenue from just a couple would pretty much pay for the boat ride. Sell them back into bondage, as it were.

Then again, although lionfish don't constitute a disease, I think a pretty strong case can be made for pestilence/danger, etc. Like Dee, I've had these things in captivity and can tell you from first hand experience that they are very aggressive predators. Pretty, but dangerous.

Steven

100 D.A.Y. - Cool, same school of philosiphy as Ted Nuggent. Ever read/hear his views? They're right on, IMO. :)

Greyface ,yes....Several of my bowhunting friends donate excess game to shelters.I try to take only enough for family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom