Atkins Diet and DCI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also on the Atkins diet, and I feel fine after diving. But then again, I haven't been diving for very long... I just got certified a little over a month ago. But in any case, a factor of DCS is health, and I feel healthy doing Atkins, so that shouldn't cause any problems.

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
The 20lbs of fat is probably poses a greater danger to DCS than being on the Atkins diet.

Mike

I completely agree... based on the science I have read, fat is one of the fastest nitrogen loaders in the body; I believe it also offloads fastest. My suggestion would be to identify those tissues which off-load nitrogen the slowest and see if there is evidence that the metabolism of these tissues is affected by a low-carb diet.

Incidentally - I have also done the atkins diet with great success where no other diet helped... including exercise. For me... it takes both a low-carb diet and exercise. As far as not scuba not causing weight loss... I am not so sure about that - I lost four pounds during one days dive (while staying hydrated) while on the atkins.

Yes... I believe there is some danger in reducing the bodies availability of fast energy because this could cause you to over-exhert youirself but I imagine that depends on the type of muscular conditioning your have (aka fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscle).

I am a big low-carb fan.
A juicy steak with a good salad is one of my favorite meals anyway :)
The only problem is: I always seem to be dehydrated when on a low-carb diet. I would drink over a gallon of water per day and still feel dehydrated.
Because of that, I have always interrupted my diet when going on multi-day diving trips.

Same here! I find it so hard to say no to the sweet smell of food in the galley!

Take heart aficionados, and I mean that. I saw a news blurb on the TV which strongly implies vindication for the Atkins diet and puts down the naysayers. I don't diet but I love the news. One of the majors, Lancet, I think, found that the cholesterol profile (HDL/LDL, lipids) IMPROVES with Atkins. This startling report comes on top of the recent evidence that cholesterol itself is an innocent bystander in heart disease, with bacterial infection being the real culprit. It's always been there to see; indeed, 50% of folks with artherosclerosis have low cholesterol.

OK, a bit of pre-history for Rick. As far as one can tell, it appears that big game hunting began in earnest 30,000 years ago. The theory is that this was coincident with the development of language (not grunts) and art. Before that, eating of meat took place but was strictly opportunistic involving small game and left overs from lions and such. This is a certainty as more primitive primates than us, such as chimpanzees, eat meat whenever they can get it.

There is huge evidence for big game hunting including cave painting, middens, and the disappearance of virtually all ice age large animals in Europe and Americas, and many in Asia. The list is extremely long and please don't think that climate was a major factor. These animals had existed for 10 million years surviving every climate you can think of. After man arrived, they disappeared in a second of geologic time.

Some supporting physiological evidence--With human species, the reduction of the appendex signals departure from weed eating and such. Further evolution is evidenced by the reduction of mandible, teeth and supporting musculature. Fire, weapons and meat eating had arrived.

Pesky

Has anyone had any real success with this diet? I have read that it has been tested and it is known to work.

It is a well established fact that high protein diets cause rapid initial weight loss. This however is due to the stripping of water out of the body's tissues as the kidneys struggle to remove the waste products produced through the metabolism of excess protein. Later weight loss is simply through a calorie intake that is lower than the number of calories expended.

As high protein diets cause dehydration there may well be an increased risk of DCS.

well I must sayfor me this year been the health pits recently diagnosised with Asthma , my weight has gone out of control even with regular excercise and slowing my eating , I have chaulked some up to hitting 40 but cannot find valid reason why the weight promblems or even why I developed asthmia which has affect my diving by t increasing my oxygen use I first notice about two years ago that my oxygen use has slowing increased which this year my doctor did a lung capacity test and few other test well in aug I had my first asthma attack which has been controlled by meds and no more attacks but oxygen use still higher than I like it to be . so now figure I will work on weight maybe help my oxygen use any ideas or thoughts on this please post thanks !!!

From personal experience, if I don't drink at least 8 - 8 oz of water a day I feel a bit dehydrated. And they do stress to drink lots of H20 on the diet because of dehydration.

I've gotten a few bad headaches diving, while on this diet due to not enough water intake, (my imo).

When I know I'm going to dive, I double up on the water and all goes well :)

There is a message board that discusses this diet as well as a few others out there that people have had success with. Great recipes and articles for your reading pleasure. I'd post the link but not sure I can do that here.

Just my 2 cents :)

Have a Great Day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom