Athens Scuba Park this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Athens this weekend and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in going out to Athens Scuba Park on Saturday? I haven't been out there this year, so if anyone is interested in joining me, please let me know.

Thanks! :)

I got to the park about 10:00 Saturday morning and met a young Seminary student and his wife and two friends for diving off Pier 6. On our first dive, we did a little exploring and then found the "tunnel," about halfway between Piers 5 and 6. After reading the obligatory caution sign, we went in to swim through it. It was pretty fun, although, obviously, anyone who is the least bit claustrophobic needn't bother with it. As Tim the Enchanter said in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "If you do doubt your courage, come no further..." The pipes have a number of bends to them to make the swim-through more interesting, and there are egresses every 40 feet. The experience was similar to swimming through Sisco, if Sisco were 200-feet long! :D

On our second dive, we went through the C-140 JetStar, which is beginning to show slight signs of decay, which is only natural for something that has been in the water for two years. Still interesting to go through with someone who has never been inside.

The Seminary student and his wife had to leave during the surface interval and lunch and head back to Dallas, but their two friends stayed and we did a third dive, going through the houseboat and tour bus along the way. Both are showing more dilapidation than the jet plane is, but again, that's to be expected.

The water temperature was 90 degrees throughout the day, even though the air temperature never reached 90. Dive West was having a luau that evening, but since I wasn't with them, I didn't stay for it. And on Sunday, they had a treasure hunt (which, again, I didn't get to participate in). All in all, a very nice weekend. BTW, I really like what they've done to the dive shop there. They have much more room now.

What happened to the dive shop was that Calvin and Jim parted company.

Jim now has his own store front in Athens. Sorry, can't recall where it is. I can get there, I just can't give directions.

I am not going to restart the discussion on wheather or not people should enter over head environments untrained.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom