Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manosk, thanks for pointing out island options & mania, thanks for site refs - looks like you have a wild & crazy diving group!

since the unique u/w things in greece are antiquities, that's what I want to see - does anyone know what islands have access to them? something from ancient times rather than boat wrecks from the past few hundred years...not that dolphins and cute little mediterranean sharkies wouldn't be nice too.

will be going to Delos due to my lion obsession, and everyone keeps telling me to go to Santorini - anything there worth diving for?

thanks hugely to whoever knows this, or knows who I should ask!

lizardqueen:
since the unique u/w things in Greece are antiquities, that's what I want to see - does anyone know what islands have access to them?

Unfortunately is not permitted to dive ancient sites, unless the dive operator has a special permission from the local Coastguard and the Ministry that deals with antiquities. You can see areas if you snorkel though since sometimes these things are in shallow waters

lizardqueen:
everyone keeps telling me to go to Santorini - anything there worth diving for?

Santorini is a unique volcanic island in the World. It has the largets Caldera in the World (10 knotical miles long) and the wrok formation is fantastic. You need to go and see it to appreciate what I mean. In Santorini you do not need dive gear to see the antiquities. There is an ancient city in just 3-4 mtrs of water ENE of Akrotiri. There is a huge sandy beach (a 2-3 miles even more long) and usually no one is around (and I mean NO ONE). You can access it from Vlihada or Akrotiri on foot or go by sea. Other areas you can dive there is a 1950s ship wreck, the volcano where you will see some very strange see-through cave formations and a few strange fish.
If you want to know more about diving sites in Santorini just follow this link
http://www.boatmadholidays.com/en/index.htm and click on activities and then choose diving :wink:

Honestly - dives in Santorini are not very fascinating. The island itself is beautiful. We were planning to do several dives there but at the end did only 2 - because it was simply boring. Instead of diving we enjoyed the island, wine and great food.
Mania

By all means I had a splendid time there!!!! And I love the place.... Simply I was not taken aback by the dives. Still I think it's worth going there spending 2- 3 days diving and the rest - as I did - drinking and enjoying the place.
Mania

Hey guys .

As i am from Greece but I dont live there i have done some search for diving in Greece .

The laws are much better those days. I heard one of the best places to dive is Zakinthos where you can see the big turtles.

A lot of islands have nice waters to dive but as i havent experience it myself so i dont know.

I have swam to a lot of the beaches and the water and viz is great but thats all i know.

Cheers,

Mario

Back
Top Bottom