Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psinyc

Reaction score
can anyone give me some feedback on diving in Greece, near Athens?

we are thinking about going there in August 2004, and was curious as to:

1- viz
2- h20 temp
3- sea life
4- are there underwater ruins to see?

thanks all,
psi

This does not deserve a poll. Not too many serious divers bother with Greece because the Med is relatively fished out, it is too cold to have coral reefs, and diving is government controlled and limited to specific areas. Why dive Greece when you can dive Cyprus, or much better and not much farther, the Red Sea?

I dove on both the Western and Southern coasts of Attica (eg around Athens) during Jan-May 2002. The surface temperature in February was 13C, there was little sea life due to the long history of shipping traffic and pollution, and viz was unspectacular. There are no ruins to see as diving near archaia (antiquities) is specifically prohibited.

There are many wrecks from WWII lying in the Eastern Med but again there is trouble to get to them. For example, there are at least half a dozen wrecks at the bottom of the harbour in Milos (where the Venus de Milo statue was found). Since there is no dive shop nearby, and diving is specifically prohibited in Harbours you would need to charter a vessel and get specific government approval to dive these. I think you get the idea.

Most of the dive operators in Greece are at the resort islands of Crete, Corfu, Santorini and Mykonos) and cater to the summer tourist crowd, and do primarily Discover Scuba type business. Since the customers don't know any better the diving tends to be very basic and uninteresting. There are a few shallow wrecks.

I wish my countrymen would better police illegal spearfishing (which accounts for much of the diving), stop the dynamite fishing (a stick of dynamite can really disturb your safety stop too) and designate interesting areas into national marine parks to dive antiquities/wrecks, self-policed by reputable dive operators. It seems pressure from the EU and some hard core (good) local divers is pushing to get the rules liberalized but the Greek State has historically been suspicious of foreigners going under its waters for unknown reasons. Greece still has some fauna left (dusky groupers, octopus, scorpion fish) and they should be protected. However, Greeks love to eat seafood so not likely.

Sea temp, depends when you go, expect 28c in summer.

Sea life - pretty barren over that end of the med.

Vis:- Expect 25,+

Ruins:- illegal so not allowed to dive them. Likewise no wreck diving allowed either. Or night diving.

If your from the states and want to fly all the wat over to Greece, why not go the extra miles to Egypt? I've done about 100 dives in Greece. In the summer the water temp is about 29C and the vis about 20-30 meters. There is little sealife and all the biggerfish are gone. Greeks tend to really controle diving so no night dives, no wreck dives, no historical sites.
I'd opt for the red sea or if you really want the med. try Malta/Gozo, Spain or even southern France!

Good luck and safe Diving

KJ

If you dive around Athens try to go to Cape Sounion and dive by Goulandris Villas or in Patroklos Island (Donkey Island) if you have a boat.
The permitted areas to dive starts from Bouliagmeni and ends just before Legrena (Goulandris Villa).
Dive sites near Athens
The visibility is brilliant provided that there is no south or SWest wind that creates large waves and you have all the sand floating about. Fish life is good is you have patients. Take some squid or feta cheese mixed with bread with you and you will see fish!!
If you dive at the back of Patroklos Island (Gaidouronisi) you may see sharks or even dolphins (if you are lucky!!)
Have a good holiday and enjoy the Olympics:)
If you plan to use any dive outfit from Athens don't bother as they will only be taking you to Bouliagmeni to dive whish is not good at all unless you are a novice. You need to dive out of Athens. Also try to visit the islands and if you have time go to Santorini

Going back to your questions:

1. viz 25/30 mtrs+ when there is NNE winds. During South winds 15-20 mtrs sometimes if is rough much less.
2. Sea temp 25deg C+
3. Rouins no (as far as I know) but you can dive the wreck of Makronisos Island (NNE off Cape Sounion).

Hi psi,

I'm going to the Olympics too, and definitely diving in Greece despite advice from crispos. When I chose to go to Turkey in August [to see an eclipse] the diving was a great breather on a 107 degree day! Saw some ancient sunken pottery.

I've heard there are ancient wrecks in Greece currently accessible to divers, but not for long, they're on verge of being protected by the gov. What have you found out since you made this post?

Thanks for any insight!

psinyc:
can anyone give me some feedback on diving in Greece, near Athens?

we are thinking about going there in August 2004, and was curious as to:

1- viz
2- h20 temp
3- sea life
4- are there underwater ruins to see?

thanks all,
psi

lizardqueen:
I'm going to the Olympics too, and definitely diving in Greece despite advice from crispos.

You are an optimistic person LizardQ :D Just joking, hopefully the Olympics will take place but the infrastructure will not be there 100% guranteed.
Diving in Greece is good in the summer provided you know where to go.

Have a good holiday :dazzler1:

...hey almost forgot visit Santorini if you get the time :wink:

You're right I'm optimistic, I'm expecting to see some underwater antiquities...does anyone know what island to go to for that? Don't want any Greek authorities on my case!

ManosK:
You are an optimistic person LizardQ :D Just joking, hopefully the Olympics will take place but the infrastructure will not be there 100% guranteed.
Diving in Greece is good in the summer provided you know where to go.

Have a good holiday :dazzler1:

...hey almost forgot visit Santorini if you get the time :wink:

Back
Top Bottom