AT&T coverage, iPhone issues in Cozumel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzikbiz22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings All !

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable 3 day weekend !

I'm heading to Cozumel in November, and am curious as to cell coverage, specifically At&T, with an iPhone. Coverage is good ? Roam with local mobile service provider ? Does 3G exist in Cozumel ? I will be getting the "roam as you go" International package from AT&T for the month. Just curious about anyones experiences there.

Thanks in advance,

Diver in SoCal

Cellular service is very good on the island. I've only used CDMA, but coverage is considerably better there than it is where I live in NH. Friends we dived with said much the same about the GSM coverage on their iPhones.

Greetings All !

I'm heading to Cozumel in November, and am curious as to cell coverage, specifically At&T, with an iPhone. Coverage is good ? Roam with local mobile service provider ? Does 3G exist in Cozumel ? I will be getting the "roam as you go" International package from AT&T for the month. Just curious about anyones experiences there.

Thanks in advance,

Diver in SoCal

Good news for you - AT & T does reciprocate with our local cell phone service provider, Telcel and yes, e have 3G service here.

However, I would STRONGLY urge you to check your data plan coverage from AT & T thoroughy and turn data roaming OFF unless you have a special international unlimited plan (not sure what that roam as you go plan is - but data can cost you your first born if you are not careful - otherwise you could go home to a $2000+ phone bill.

Good news for you - AT & T does reciprocate with our local cell phone service provider, Telcel and yes, e have 3G service here.

However, I would STRONGLY urge you to check your data plan coverage from AT & T thoroughy and turn data roaming OFF unless you have a special international unlimited plan (not sure what that roam as you go plan is - but data can cost you your first born if you are not careful - otherwise you could go home to a $2000+ phone bill.
Good to hear, thanks ! Just as an FYI, below are the plans that that I get when traveling "abroad" for voice & data. These are not "contract" plans, but are in addition to your normal monthly plan. You can add them and cancel at will. They are pro rated however. it's just best to sign up for them on the first billing day of the month that you plan to travel. I do it all the time when traveling to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, etc. The $24.99 below usually gets me by for a weeks' trip;

AT&T World Traveler $5.99 per month
Take your service with you as you travel the world to more than 220 countries. With AT&T World Traveler, get discounted roaming rates in more than 100 of those countries.

There are four data packages available:

* $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within more than 100 countries
* $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within more than 100 countries
* $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within more than 100 countries
* $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within more than 100 countries

Another option for data is to just use wireless if you hotel offers it. I've brought my iPhone the last two trips and relied on Skype for voice and wireless for data. No extra charges. Of course, I was limited to using the phone only in the hotel, but that was no issue for me.

My iphone worked great right up to the point that I left it in a taxi. After that.....not so good......:(

My iphone worked great right up to the point that I left it in a taxi. After that.....not so good......:(

Yep - before he moved here full time, my better half had his iPhone lost/stolen here and even though he reported it as soon as he realized it was gone - the person who stole/found it had hacked through his password, turned the data roaming back on, and racked up over $2000K in data charges - it's finally been resolved (I think) but it was a nightmare!

Little known fact that ATT has an iPhone Global Data Unlimited plan for $64.99 per month. It's got it's own contract so you cannot turn it on and off, but it gives you global data coverage without limits basically anywhere on the planet except a few places like Iraq and Somalia. After my first $3500 data bill traveling internationally it was an easy choice for me.

Greetings All !

Thanks in advance,

Diver in SoCal

My wife has never had issues with her ATT/iPhone in Cozumel. She always turns off her email delivery but gets phone calls and texts with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom